IP filter list doesn't seem to get populated for containers

vshab

Oct 25, 2024
Hello, so I have hit a bit of a problem with recently learned software defined networking

I created DHCP zone and network by following tutorial from wiki (Setup Simple Zone With SNAT and DHCP)
After that I changed network config of existing LXC containers to use newly created VNet with DHCP IP address setup, but hit an issue where containers can't use internet at all unless I turn off firewall. After a bit of "scientific research" I narrowed it down to IP filter. Then I checked iptables (with ping-flooding) and well, it led me to ! match-set PVEFW-101-ipfilter-net0-v4 src rule.

Following text wall is a part of iptables -L -v -n
Code:
Chain veth101i0-OUT (1 references)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 PVEFW-SET-ACCEPT-MARK  17   --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           [goto]  udp spt:68 dpt:67
    0     0 DROP       0    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            MAC ! bc:24:11:xx:xx:xx
  716  204K DROP       0    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set PVEFW-101-ipfilter-net0-v4 src
    0     0 MARK       0    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            MARK and 0x7fffffff
    0     0 PVEFW-SET-ACCEPT-MARK  0    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           [goto]
    0     0            0    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            /* PVESIG:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */

Then I used ipset list PVEFW-101-ipfilter-net0-v4 to see if this list is incorrect...
Code:
Name: PVEFW-101-ipfilter-net0-v4
Type: hash:net
Revision: 7
Header: family inet hashsize 64 maxelem 64 bucketsize 12 initval 0xc0819f69
Size in memory: 456
References: 1
Number of entries: 0
Members:
...and, it's empty?

Did I do something wrong? Why is this list empty, when I suppose it shouldn't be this way?​

Screenshot 2024-10-26 003414.png
^ VNet I created in case it is needed, let me know if more info is needed
+ Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.2.7
+ bare metal

(also P.S.: I believe that I hit same issue on another proxmox instance as well while moving everything from old "DIY" SNAT bridge, same symptoms of net not working with firewall etc.)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!