[SOLVED] "invalid vdev specification"

GalacticSpines

Apr 28, 2020
I need some help with the following issue.

I'm running FreeNAS VM on my Proxmox setup and used this command to pass-through two hdd's to the FreeNAS VM:
qm set 100 -scsi3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx
qm set 100 -scsi4 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx

Long story short it worked without issues in FreeNAS as a mirrored pool called "truemirror".

I would like to know how to undo the pass-through? I have disconnected the pool in FreeNAS and stopped the VM. In Proxmox I have partitioned the hdd's again, but when I want to create a pool I get this error:
zpool create MoxBackup -o ashift=12 mirror /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx-part1 is part of exported pool 'truemirror'
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3000DM007-1WY10G_xxxxxx-part1 is part of exported pool 'truemirror'

If I run zpool status / no pools available, zpool list / no pools available

you can either clear the labels still stored on those disks (zpool labelclear [...]) or, as the message indicates, override that check with -f. note that the latter will also disable other checks (such as sane redundancy combinations, ...) so I'd choose clearing the labels ;)

you can either clear the labels still stored on those disks (zpool labelclear [...]) or, as the message indicates, override that check with -f. note that the latter will also disable other checks (such as sane redundancy combinations, ...) so I'd choose clearing the labels ;)

I tried both and neither worked, but I actually came across this post and thought I would give it a try.

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdj
wipefs -a /dev/sdj

It worked on the first try and I was able to create a new zfs pool without any errors.

Reactions: argentum

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!