Internal VLANs with Proxmox

monikan

Jul 22, 2024
Hey guys, maybe you could help me with this config, I am new to networking, I asked other forum as well but still need help to move forward.

In a Hetzner Dedicated Host with Proxmox and OpnSense, I want to setup 2 VLANs at root-level, having only 1 Public IP and without using any VSwitch or extra IPs, if possible.

The idea of having 2 VLANs is to be able to have unsafe content on one VLAN that doesn't affect the other (work) VLAN.

My current configuration which currently works is below. It routes through OpnSense which has WAN set to vmbr0.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr99
iface vmbr99 inet static
address 10.1.1.0/24
gateway 10.1.1.200 #OpnSense IP
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

The vmbr99 bridge for 10.1.1.0 should ideally upstream to VLAN1. A second subnet 10.1.2.0 should upstream to VLAN2.

The VLAN boundary should end within these 2 VLANs and child subnets. When a packet is forwarded to eno1 interface, it's VLAN tag should be removed. This is to avoid requiring a VSwitch at Hetzner Host level. Actually Hetzner should be totally unaware of the existence of these 2 VLANs.

I've already tried https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#sysadmin_network_routed, where I found below snippet. But it doesn't seem to work, there is no network connectivity and I cannot ping Hetzner's IP.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno1.5 inet manual

auto vmbr0v5
iface vmbr0v5 inet static
address 10.10.10.2/24
gateway 10.10.10.1
bridge-ports eno1.5
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Some help would be very helpful at this point as I don't know what else to try.

Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!