[SOLVED] Intel NUC 12 Onboard NIC Not Working With Proxmox 7.3-6

mhayhurst

Jul 21, 2016
Hello everyone, I recently installed Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.3-6 on an Intel NUC 12 (NUC12WSHi7). Installation was successful except I could not get the onboard NIC to work...no lights or anything after Proxmox was up and running. Using the same network cable and switch port I get a successful connection on a USB Ethernet adapter I had laying around, so I'm confident it's not the network cable or switch port. One thing I did notice is the onboard NIC lights will come on during POST but then turn off shortly after the Proxmox GRUB menu. Proxmox definitely sees the onboard NIC though:

Bash:
lspci -v
64:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16, IOMMU group 14
        Memory at 84200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Memory at 84300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=5 Masked-
        Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number REDACTED
        Capabilities: [1c0] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Capabilities: [1f0] Precision Time Measurement
        Capabilities: [1e0] L1 PM Substates
        Kernel driver in use: igc
        Kernel modules: igc

Bash:
dmesg|grep -i "igc 0000:64:00.0"
[    1.760215] igc 0000:64:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    1.762372] igc 0000:64:00.0: PTM enabled, 4ns granularity
[    1.810477] igc 0000:64:00.0 (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): PHC added
[    1.838114] igc 0000:64:00.0: 4.000 Gb/s available PCIe bandwidth (5.0 GT/s PCIe x1 link)
[    1.838120] igc 0000:64:00.0 eth0: MAC: REDACTED
[    2.263228] igc 0000:64:00.0 enp100s0: renamed from eth0

Is there anything I'm missing or doing wrong? I've never experienced onboard NIC issues with past Proxmox installs.

Last edited:
I installed proxmox on a nuc12 i5 yesterday, and was working fine. Woke up this morning and moved the device, unplugging the network cable and re-connecting, and suddenly could not connect to the network. No lights on the network port.

Spent the majority of the day trying everything- updating bios, playing with the network config, updating to the 6.1 kernel, different switches, cables, etc. Even tried re-updating the bios, reinstalled proxmox, etc.

It appears the I-225V gen 3 network controller on board is known to have issues. Was about to follow the intel bios recovery instructions (there's a jumper inside that you're supposed to use with a recovery package on USB stick, but couldn't find a recovery package.)

What appeared to work for me finally was unplugging everything, pressing and holding the power button while it was off, waiting a few minutes, then reconnecting and powering it back up...

My guess is the network controller got into a bad state and couldn't recover, and by draining all power, it reset the bad state.

Hope this works for you as well. I'm concerned about using this controller long term, time will tell.

Reactions: mhayhurst
I installed proxmox on a nuc12 i5 yesterday, and was working fine. Woke up this morning and moved the device, unplugging the network cable and re-connecting, and suddenly could not connect to the network. No lights on the network port.

Spent the majority of the day trying everything- updating bios, playing with the network config, updating to the 6.1 kernel, different switches, cables, etc. Even tried re-updating the bios, reinstalled proxmox, etc.

It appears the I-225V gen 3 network controller on board is known to have issues. Was about to follow the intel bios recovery instructions (there's a jumper inside that you're supposed to use with a recovery package on USB stick, but couldn't find a recovery package.)

What appeared to work for me finally was unplugging everything, pressing and holding the power button while it was off, waiting a few minutes, then reconnecting and powering it back up...

My guess is the network controller got into a bad state and couldn't recover, and by draining all power, it reset the bad state.

Hope this works for you as well. I'm concerned about using this controller long term, time will tell.
Wow! That did it and I really appreciate the help!!!! That's crazy though, I actually power cycled the NUC several times by unplugging it but didn't think to unplug, hold down the power button and let it sit for a while to drain everything like you said. I'm running the latest firmware on the NUC but hopefully Intel will address this issue in later firmware releases.

I have had the exact same issue with my Intel NUC12 PRO Slim Wall Street Canyon Barebone Kit using Proxmox version 8 and I followed @cognitivedev's instructions as well, and it is now fixed. Awesome. Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!