Intel 13gen or 14gen iGPU full passthrough to Win?

icehq

Nov 24, 2021
Hi. question as above - is it possible to do a full iGPU passthrough to Win11? up to 10gen without a problem, later I skipped upgrading the hardware, but now I'm thinking about 14gen, but what matters to me is whether passthrough is possible.

If anyone else follows this thread, could they please post the exact make and model of whatever (minipc?) device that they have successfully applied iGPU passthrough to?

I've got a Minisforum HM90 (AMD) and have had no luck, trying every few months after a PVE update. I figure if "we" compare notes on various hardware combinations, then "we" might be able to cobble together one or more reliable iGPU passthrough guides.

@markc I think it is a Windows Issue with the driver. I managed to pass it through, but it isn't working (device manager shows error 43).
On Ubuntu it worked with no issues. Hardware:
13900K / Asus Proart z790-Creator Wifi

@Xclsd Thanks for the heads-up on that beast of a mobo working with Ubuntu. I actually want to use a linux desktop myself, so that is encouraging. I have been mainly testing with a Win10 image because I thought that would be the most likely to work. I will go through the procedure again with an early Ubuntu 24.04 mantic desktop on my HM90 Minisforum and see how I go, and report back.

Interesting, I've never managed to get any kind of GPU passthrough to work to even know what SRIOV has to offer. I googled it and found this page which lists a few NUC models that could be potential iGPU passthrough hardware targets... I obviously have a lot to learn.

https://projectceladon.github.io/celadon-documentation/getting-started/on-vm.html

FWIW my use case is to run my main daily driver desktop (Manjaro/KDE) in a VM on a mid to high end miniPC (hence the need for iGPU passthrough) so I can take advantage of effortless back-ups to my Proxmox Backup Server, and a trouble free bootable ZFS file system. I could handle a 5% performance hit from a VM, but SPICE gfx, for instance, is just not good enough for all day desktop usage.

Well, it depends on what you want to achieve: For desktop usage a VM with SPICE is enough for my need. But if you need accelerated GPUs for some reason, you might end up needing GVT-G, SRIOV or GPU passthrough. GVT-G worked somehow for me in testing scenarios.

@markc I think it is a Windows Issue with the driver. I managed to pass it through, but it isn't working (device manager shows error 43).
On Ubuntu it worked with no issues. Hardware:
13900K / Asus Proart z790-Creator Wifi
Hello,
I'm thinking about the nuc13 (raptor lake 13th gen with iris xe). There ale a lot of posts about the poblems with the full igpu passthrough to windows VM. Two questions:
- is linux VM (e.g. ubuntu) simply working for such setup, so I did not find similar posts?
- does the full igpu passthrough give the full hdmi audio/video output beside the gpu access, and so the VM can be used as a desktop on external monitor? Maybe it's so obvious, but the posts I found cover windows VM only in relation to similar doubts.

Last edited:
- is linux VM (e.g. ubuntu) simply working for such setup, so I did not find similar posts?
It should be working. You don't need too passthrough anything to use a VM. You would just have to use a virtua GPU then.
IF the passthrough is possible (I don't know if it is): Linux will just work, if mesa / kernel is as new as needed for the GPU.
IF SR/IOV is working(I don't know if it is):: Linux will just work as well.
- does the full igpu passthrough give the full hdmi audio/video output beside the gpu access, and so the VM can be used as a desktop on external monitor?
IF the passthrough is possible (I don't know if it is): You can use HDMI + Audio output as a usual Desktop. You'll just need to power on the device somehow via the Interface / a Script / whatever solution is possible to power on the VM.

It should be working. You don't need too passthrough anything to use a VM. You would just have to use a virtua GPU then.
IF the passthrough is possible (I don't know if it is): Linux will just work, if mesa / kernel is as new as needed for the GPU.
IF SR/IOV is working(I don't know if it is):: Linux will just work as well.

IF the passthrough is possible (I don't know if it is): You can use HDMI + Audio output as a usual Desktop. You'll just need to power on the device somehow via the Interface / a Script / whatever solution is possible to power on the VM
I can confirm, AV over HDMI works well with the full gpu passtrhough for NUC13 i7 with linux VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!