Intallations failure for unable bios_boot partition

Feb 25, 2019
Hello Guys,
probably the fault is not of ProxMox, but maybe someone had this particular problem.
I tryed to find something in this forum but i didn't find my situation...

I need to install a third node for store my zfs snapshot.

I have this DELL PowerEdge R200 with 8Gb RAM. I changed my old 2 HDD with 2 HDD EXOS 7E8 of 6TB.

So I began the installation and when the system was creating the partition was coming interrup by this alert: "unable to create bios_boot partition '/dev/sda'"

With the old hdd the installation worked but i need to have more storage....

I tryed with Gparted to format and recreate the partition but the situation doesn't change...

I would like to use these HDD Exos in RAID0 ZFS.

Someone could help me please?

Thanks very much

Attachments

• errore1.png
    errore1.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 22
  • errore2.png
    errore2.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi Davide,
I have the same issue with different 6TB-disks.
Looks that the pve-installer can't handle native 4k sectors correct!

Has your disks 4k sectors (4kn) or emulated 512b (512e)?

Udo

BTW. zfs raid 0 is an bad idea

Looks that the pve-installer can't handle native 4k sectors correct!

Has your disks 4k sectors (4kn) or emulated 512b (512e)?

Udo

BTW. zfs raid 0 is an bad idea
Hi udo,
thanks for the answer.
I'm sorry but how can I find this information?

... raid0 is because we use this node only for store the backup... nothing else. So we want use only free space

Davide.

Hi udo,
thanks for the answer.
I'm sorry but how can I find this information?

... raid0 is because we use this node only for store the backup... nothing else. So we want use only free space

Davide.
Hi Davide,
if you look here: https://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/exos-drives/exos-e-drives/exos-7e8/
you see some models with 4k sector size and some with emulated 512bytes.
I assume you have an 4k-model too.

Because raid-0: are your backup not important? If yone disk die - all backups are gone.

Udo

Hi,
I've installed pve-6 successfull on a 6 * 6TB-4kn-hdd raidz2 with the help of an single disk (with 512b sectorsize) and manual reconfigure (take some time).
If you wan't I can post the HowTo...

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!