[TUTORIAL] Installing UnRaid (ver. 6.83) on Proxmox (ver. 6.2-4)

jbat66

Oct 24, 2020
October 2020
Installing UnRaid (ver. 6.83) on Proxmox (ver. 6.2-4)

Background; I have been using UnRaid for close to a year, and have just started using Proxmox a few weeks ago. However I have been using other virtualization technologies and hypervisors for years, Hyperconverge (Cisco HyperFlex, Nutanix) and Hypervisors (VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, etc) for years. I wanted to virtualize UnRaid on Proxmox, but found complicated older forum posts, and thought there should be a better way. I experimented and hope I found an easy way to set this up. I just wanted to share to the community.

1. Download the Unraid Server OS and make a USB key. Take notes USB 2.0 is generally better than USB 3.0/3.1 for USB drives used for Unraid. Note, Unraid does not install to a drive, it will only and always boot from the USB drive/key. It installs into memory on each boot, and runs from there.(https://unraid.net/download)

2. Make sure to boot the unraid OS on your server without proxmox running, in other words, you can have proxmox installed, but boot from the key once to make sure it is going to work with your hardware. I went through three USB drives, even two of the same type, before I found one that would work! If you have DHCP set up on your network, you should get a DHCP IP address that you recognize from your network. In my case my network is 10.0.0.x. If you get an IP that starts with 169.254, then this generaly means the usb drive is bad, you will probably see some comments above about not finding files. You can also login to unraid via console and try deleting /boot/config/network.cfg and rebooting to see if that fixes it. More than likely it is an incompatible USB drive.
2020-10-24 14_11_03-VM 1000 - unraid (1) - Remote Viewer.png

3. Reboot back into Proxmox

4. Make a VM with the following settings
2020-10-24 14_13_32-Window.png
Memory; UnRaid likes memory, so make sure you give it enough.
Processors; Make sure you go to the bottom of the list of processors and pick the "host" type. This passes through your hosts processor. This will limit you on migrating your UnRaid VM to another host, but you can't do that anyway, since it is linked to your USB drive.
2020-10-24 14_18_36-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png
BIOS; Use SeaBIOS
Display; use the default if you wish. I love SPICE, so that is what I use. If you use spice you have to have the viewer installed on your workstation.
Machine; Default i440fx
SCSI Controller; VirtIO SCSI I tried the others, but this works fine.
CD/DVD Drive; Proxmox will not boot a USB drive in a VM, however you can boot an ISO, and there is an ISO that will boot a USB drive... See where I'm going there? Make your life easy and download plopkexex (https://www.plop.at/en/plopkexec/download.html) extract it and then upload plopkexec64.iso to your ISO share. Then mount that ISO in your VM. Tada no config, and it just works.
2020-10-24 14_17_55-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png
Hard Disk; Make a hard disk or disks for your VM. I really don't recommend that you make several virtual disks and set them up inside of Unraid and make a array, just make one and go with that. You can always make a larger one later and copy your files across to the larger one inside of unraid at a later time if you want to go larger or smaller. Lastly, you can pass through direct hard drives, and other direct USB drives, if you want Unraid to control them directly, then you can setup an array just like you normally would. However if you are doing that, you might as well delete proxmox and set your server up with unraid, as unraid will do VM's and Docker locally.
2020-10-24 15_07_09-Window.pngNetwork Device; use e1000. I had problems getting any other virtual NIC to work other than the e1000. You may end up getting no IP for your IP address on UnRaid, or the 169.254 type address. You can also login to unraid via console and try deleting /boot/config/network.cfg and rebooting to see if that fixes it.
2020-10-24 14_17_22-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png
USB Device; You must pass through the USB Device that your Unraid is installed on, if you do it this way, and not the other way of copying your USB contents to a virtual drive, your unraid experience will be the same as if you have it running on a non-virtualized server. What I mean is that changes will get copied back to the USB drive like they should.
2020-10-24 14_16_47-pve1 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

5. Boot your VM
In summary, there are a few gotchas, getting correct NIC type, getting a USB stick to boot, and the big one, getting a good install on a USB that will boot correctly on your hardware.

I have tested a VM in Unraid (I'm NOT going to run any in Unraid under Proxmox, but it does work, and I have tested several dockers. All work as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your effort in putting this together. I will definitely give this a go! very excited. Any update on how do you find it so far? has it been stable , useful? no limitation or hiccups compared to native install?

Hi, I have looked at your tutorial long time ago and saved it to use it today and then while I was setting up the VM I noticed that Proxmox now allows you to boot directly to USB, is that a new feature? can it be trusted vs your tutorial?

Attachments

• 1664630536045.png
    1664630536045.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi, I have looked at your tutorial long time ago and saved it to use it today and then while I was setting up the VM I noticed that Proxmox now allows you to boot directly to USB, is that a new feature? can it be trusted vs your tutorial?

I removed the propkexec iso from CD-ROM and changed the boot order for my Unraid VM to boot from the USB I passed through, working like a charm.

Update, I have been running this configuration for 3 years now, and it is all still working flawlessly.

Hi, @jbat66, i'm trying unRAID VM on ProxMox.
It's running fine and for test i'm using only 1 50Gb vdisk but i don't understand why now is empty ( fresh install ) and 20Gb are already occupied on this QEMU HARD DRIVE. Why? What's the reason?
Is there a way to have all the 50Gb free as a real Hard Disk?
Thanx in advance!

Zippi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!