Installing PVE via Serva?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by ozgurerdogan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

I am trying to install PVE via Serva,

My ServaAsset.ini file is:

[PXESERVA_MENU_ENTRY]
    asset = Proxmox-3-1
    platform = x64
    kernel = memdisk
    append = iso initrd=NWA_PXE\$HEAD_DIR$\Proxmox-3-1.iso raw

But after loading iso to memdisk as installation starts, I am getting this error, please see screen shot.
    SS.jpg

Any idea?

2. p3x-749

p3x-749 Member

By the looks the PVE installer does not see the boot-device as a cdrom.
    I cannot comment on using this particular PXE Installer/Server environment,
    but you could always try an alternate install based on Debian Wheezy -> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy
    If you can get your PXE envionment to install Wheezy from the netinst.iso, you are good to go.

3. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

It was not possible to install Proxmox from Pxe and I talked to Serva's support desk and got following respond after they investigated why it was not possible.

It could be “possible” but terribly messy; this means a huge hack to make it work;

That thing is not well designed from a PXE point of view; today designing a virtualized
    environment that can only be booted by DVD is nuts.
    There are people that say “well, PXE install Debian Wezie then install Proxmox on top” that’s a mess.

You can tell the developers that today a Linux install must contain a PXE enable booting kernel + initrd set
    including net drivers, NFS, HTTP, and CIFS support.
    From that point there are 2 strategies;

1. OS install by individual package transfers
    2. OS live run by single transfer of a squashfs partition with an install option.
    All the big distros use these approaches. Proxmox should do the same.
    Debian is a distro that can be customized w/o much trouble, they should do just that adding their own components w/o
    losing the Debian PXE compatibly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice