Installing OpenVPN

creaky

Oct 16, 2018
Does anyone have a link to an up to date tutorial for installing OpenVPN on proxmox, I’ve found a couple but not been able to get them working.

I want to be able to connect to proxmox and the vm’s remotely and for when downloading torrents.

Is it best to run as a container or a vm? Also what’s the best OS for OpenVPN?

I would run a pfsense in a VM, so you are flexible and you do not have additional packets on the HV itself.

Reactions: creaky
Does anyone have a link to an up to date tutorial for installing OpenVPN on proxmox, I’ve found a couple but not been able to get them working.

The LXC configuration in the forum still works:

Code:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 10:200 rwm
lxc.hook.autodev: /path/to/hook/script

With this hook script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/dev
mkdir net
mknod net/tun c 10 200
chmod 0666 net/tun

(can also be done completely inside of the configuration as a barely-readable one-liner.

Also what’s the best OS for OpenVPN?

Alpine - small and easy:

Code:
root@openvpn ~ > df -PTh /
Filesystem           Type            Size      Used Available Capacity Mounted on
.../proxmox/subvol-1254-disk-1                 zfs            64.0M     12.9M     51.1M  20% /

Reactions: creaky

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!