Installing NVIDIA drivers gives error

plato79

Nov 24, 2020
Hi,

I have an NVIDIA GPU installed on the system and I want to use it in Plex.

First it gave me an error that "flex" is not found. After installing that package I got this error.

My kernel version is the same.

Linux pve-nas 5.15.35-3-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.35-6 (Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:42:35 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Although when installing I get an error like this:

Code:
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu Jun 23 15:03:54 2022
installer version: 304.137

PATH: /root/.cargo/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer
    -a

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface
-> License accepted by command line option.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 304.137.
WARNING: The path to the `modprobe` utility reported by '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe', `/sbin/modprobe`, differs from the path determined by `nvidia-installer`, `/usr/sbin/modprobe`.  Please verify that `/sbin/modprobe` works correctly and correct the path in '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe' if it does not.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/5.15.35-3-pve/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/5.15.35-3-pve/build'
ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I'm not sure what's requested from me. The installer already finds out where the source is. I tried to install it with SYSSRC parameter too, but it doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
did you install the pve-headers package?

yes of course. they're already in the folder "/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.35-3-pve" which is aliased to "/lib/modules/5.15.35-3-pve/build".

does the file '/var/log/nvidia-isntaller.log' contain any more information?

The current driver is 515.48.07. As the reply above mentions in referencing other threads, your driver build is far too old for your kernel version.

That's for new GPUs. The GPU I'm installing is GTX 780. The latest version supporting that GPU is 304.137

That's for new GPUs. The GPU I'm installing is GTX 780. The latest version supporting that GPU is 304.137

That doesn't change the underlying problem. The driver is from 2017 when the newest kernel available was 4.13. The driver has never been tested against Kernel 5 and simply may not work. I understand that support was dropped for Kepler, however you can use up to 470.129.06.

Reactions: plato79
That doesn't change the underlying problem. The driver is from 2017 when the newest kernel available was 4.13. The driver has never been tested against Kernel 5 and simply may not work. I understand that support was dropped for Kepler, however you can use up to 470.129.06.

304.137 was suggested by NVIDIA when I selected Geforce GTX 7 series. Seems that was wrong. I successfully built with the version you suggested. Thanks.

Reactions: jasonsansone

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!