Installing certificate

mir

Famous Member
Apr 14, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi team,

Since I have an official certificate I would like to have that installed on proxmox. Installing a new certificate for apache is no big deal and works as expected. However, now the vncterm applet can no longer be loaded since this applet is signed by the default certificate and therefore the browser complains about certificate problems since certificate used to sign the applet is not equal to the new certificate which proxmox is now using.

Any advice or will I have to live with the self-signed default certificate?

Delete your browser cache. Or try to find some date stored from java.
On servers you have with java tomcat and others a java keystore
This will not make any difference since the vncterm.jar file is signed with the self-signed certificate from proxmox pve and changing the certificate for apache obviously will mean that the two certificates deffer. Eg. the certificate used in apache must match the certificate used to sign the jar file.

I do not have a class 2 certificate.

But never the less I have found out how to use the provided default certificates. Under the installation of proxmox the certificate is created to your servers hostname: foo.bar.tld signed by the supplied CA pve-root-ca.pem. All you need to do then is to import this file pve-root-ca.pem into your preferred browsers authorities cache which is
Chrome:
1) Tools->settings->under the hood->Manage Certificates
2) Choose the tab Authorities and click the import button
3) Point to the pve-root-ca.pem file and press import.
4) For trust settings choose to identify websites.
5) No more warnings but a nice green lock
Firefox:
1) Edit->Preferences->Advanced
2) Choose the tab Encryption and click the button View Certificates
3) Choose Authorities tab and click the button Import
4) For trust settings choose to identify websites.
5) No more warnings but now the domain name is displayed.

Maybe the above should be in the wiki?

yes, and pls include instructions for chrome, firefox and ie9.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!