[SOLVED] Installer failure, "Installation aborted - unable to continue"

Helle

Mar 21, 2019
We have a few Huawei servers (1288H V5) that was going to run Proxmox. However the installer 6.4 does not work on these. It ends with Installation aborted - unable to continue
This seems to happen just before the Installer Gui is about to start.

Searching the internet reveals this is a problem since 6.0 and forward.

Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/iniknj/unable_to_install_proxmox_ve_62/
and
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...leases-in-persistent-database-sleeping.58509/

It would be nice if the installer could be run in legacy mode (ncurses) like Debian or if this issue could be fixed if the Gui-Installer is mandatory for some unknown reason.

Can anyone suggest a workaround except installing a generic debian and add proxmox later.

Proxmox is too good to be stopped by a flaky installer.

Huawei servers (1288H V5)
We got some reports from issues with huawei servers, it's really them doing something weird but even after a quite some hours of investigation on such a system we could not really find any culprit (or fix).

It would be nice if the installer could be run in legacy mode (ncurses) like Debian or if this issue could be fixed if the Gui-Installer is mandatory for some unknown reason.
A TUI mode for the installer is planned

Can anyone suggest a workaround except installing a generic debian and add proxmox later.
That is the most valid workaround there is, so why is that not wanted? ZFS on root?

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

Last edited:
PS. one user with such a huawei server reported that they could use the 5.4 ISO. So, you could try to use that and then immediately upgrade after wards if ZFS is required, that's almost as good as a fresh installation on 6.4.

My colleague just managed to work around the issue and will write down what he did so we can help solving this...

Here is the solution:

Start the 6.4 installer iso
Let it fail.

manually configure networking interface, gw and dns
start the interface

Code:
chmod 1777 /tmp
apt update

Xorg -configure
cp /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Change Driver from "modeset" to "fbdev"

xinit

Last edited:
Reactions: cyber7
My colleague just managed to work around the issue and will write down what he did so we can help solving this...

Here is the solution:

Let it fail.

start the interface

Code:
chmod 1777 /tmp
apt update

Xorg -configure
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

xinit
It seems this is also working for my very old SuperMicro Server. Thank you!
regards
AubreyKloppers (aka cyber7)
Cape Town
South Africa

The same problem with PVE 7.1 and Proliant DL380 GEN6 installation via remote console. Resolved by installing 6.4 and upgrading to 7

Here is the solution:

Let it fail.

start the interface

Code:
chmod 1777 /tmp
apt update

Xorg -configure
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

xinit

Thank you very much, with the last release I had the same problem, only in my case the problem is with an amdgpu , I changed the value "amdgpu" to fbdev in xorg.conf and it worked perfectly.

1681318582209.png

To:
1681318627698.png

Now its working :)
1681318644047.jpeg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!