Installation Question for VE GUI

steeleweb

Mar 2, 2009
I have just installed Proxmox and so far i am impressed.

However, I created my first virtual and am only able to see the comand line when opening the the VNC console. I ren the install for gnome desktop enviroment and restart this VE, but still no GUI. Suggestions

I have just installed Proxmox and so far i am impressed.

However, I created my first virtual and am only able to see the comand line when opening the the VNC console. I ren the install for gnome desktop enviroment and restart this VE, but still no GUI. Suggestions

If you create a container, there is never a graphical GUI with the VNC console. as this is not needed for running Linux servers in 99% - most appliance have web based access, e.g. Joomla, Wordpress, ....

(but there is a way to access a installed Gnome from a remote x - but this more an advanced usage scenario - like a Linux terminal server)

If you create a KVM virtual machine you do not have this limitation. KVM is doing full virtualization and you can install from CD/DVD/ISO image like you do it on physical hardware.

A good start for new uses: Video Tutorials

question

Ok so your are saying if I install a centos into Proxmox as virtual box, I will not be able to see a GUI of it, I will need to do everything from command line?

question

Yes,
I already have read this and understand.

My question is if I install Promox onto my box which I have done, then I create a VE, the by my though I should be able to go into it and see a GUI if it is letting me open the console? This is were I saw a command line I ran the install for the Gnome enviroment, restarted it no GUI. this is what I am asking. I would like to see the GUI interface for my virtual machine's.

The other questions is. Proxmox is a install by itself it is not getting installed on a OS. Does KVM install the same way or is this installed onto a OS?

Yes,
I already have read this and understand.

My question is if I install Promox onto my box which I have done, then I create a VE, the by my though I should be able to go into it and see a GUI if it is letting me open the console? This is were I saw a command line I ran the install for the Gnome enviroment, restarted it no GUI. this is what I am asking. I would like to see the GUI interface for my virtual machine's.

see http://wiki.openvz.org/X_inside_VE

but if you want Gnome I suggest you go for a KVM guest.

The other questions is. Proxmox is a install by itself it is not getting installed on a OS. Does KVM install the same way or is this installed onto a OS?

I still not understand this question. Proxmox VE can run containers and KVM guests.

question

Ok, lets go back to fisrt question.

I have Proxmox installed, I then create a Virtual enviroment with the centos 5 template. How do I get a GUI interface after this VE is started?

I went to VNC console which cam e up to a command line, I then installed the Gnome Desktop Enviroment. Restarted and it was still a command line.

I then went and tried going to it by IP through IE and it came up with a apache page which really did not do anything.

My question is how am i suppose to run and work with a VE when I cannot get in to it by GUI, like ubuntu, or centos, or suse all have a GUI. It should not be any different once I install.

I am just trying to be able to access my VE's I create, but not through a command line.

question

Ok, I understand what you are saying on the openvz page, however I am new to all the linux stuff,

I have installed the centos 5 template.

Is there any simple way to understand the terminology to what they are wanting me to do.

IF I am understanding this right.

I need to connect to the conainter through the VNC console or through another machine, or through the host of this container? I would prefer the KDE enviroment.

Ok, I understand what you are saying on the openvz page, however I am new to all the linux stuff,

I have installed the centos 5 template.

If you are new on Linux, I suggest you take some time and learn the basic console commands - may I suggest you move from centos to ubuntu? In my opinion this is better for beginners and their help forums are quite helpful also for basic questions.

Is there any simple way to understand the terminology to what they are wanting me to do.

IF I am understanding this right.

I need to connect to the conainter through the VNC console or through another machine, or through the host of this container? I would prefer the KDE enviroment.

running x inside a container is more for advanced usage. I suggest you start with a KVM virtual machine.

But pls note: running Linux in a container is faster than on KVM and more comfortable as you can manage it from the host.

For example, you can change disk size or RAM without rebooting the guest.

I think you should install a kvm based virtual machine, not a openvz.
(the same way you would do if you want to install a windows server)

If your knowledge is little to nothing that what i should that then.

I would like to see the GUI interface for my virtual machine's.

From the web interface, create a KVM virtual machine. After creating it, start the VM, and open the VNC console. Make sure you have a distro CD in your CDROM, like CentOS. In the VNC window, you should be able to see the CentOS installer. Install the OS and allow the VM to reboot itself. (Remove the CentOS installer from the CDROM before restarting.) You should then have CentOS running with a GUI.

Proxmox VE is the name of the host OS (Debian; and this distro, like many others, contains KVM and OpenVZ technologies) + a layer of applications created by the Proxmox team. What you download is something that installs all of this at once. IOW, the PVE application suite is wrapped into an installer with the Debian OS.

KVM alone is a virtualization technology and can be installed into any Linux variant. In fact, many recent distros have it included in the OS installer.

Does this answer your question?

My question is how am i suppose to run and work with a VE when I cannot get in to it by GUI, like ubuntu, or centos, or suse all have a GUI.

Two points:
- the templates put out by the Proxmox team for OpenVZ containers work of a somewhat minimalistic approach, like the host OS. You won't get many frills. Tom's recommendation to create a KVM that will act pretty much like a real machine (except for how you "see the screen") is a better way to go.
- in "Linuxland", not knowing how to use the command-line is a real deficiency. If you want to work professionally with Linux, you'd better learn it. If you are just dabbling, then GUI-only is fine...

question for VE GUI

I do understand your pint and I have been getting more familiar with the command line.

I still have have the question, is there a way to configure a GUI on the VE's I create?

If so were can I find a tutorial or something?

Where do I find a KVM template?

There are none, strictly-speaking. KVM does not have "templates" like OpenVZ. A KVM VM is like a real machine. An OpenVZ VM is like carving out a "logical section" of the host OS.

Given that a KVM machine is like a real machine, you end up with a virtual disk to which you go through the same installation steps as with a physical machine. If you grab a Fedora ISO install disk, and install it to your KVM machine, you will end up with a Fedora VM with a GUI interface just like if you had installed it on a physical machine.

However, you can find some "templates" on the net. (See rPath for example). These are actually raw disks that have been installed/manipulated. But I wouldn't recommend it, though, unless you know exactly what you are doing with virtualization and understand the ramification of using usually-poorly documented VMs...

Re: question for VE GUI

I still have have the question, is there a way to configure a GUI on the VE's I create?

If so were can I find a tutorial or something?

If you would like to access the gui of an OpenVZ container you can install the vnc-server via the command line and then open a vnc console, NOT using the java based web vnc, but with an actual vnc viewer installed in your machines OS. The java based web utility is a nice feature, but java is a clunky and resource heavy application that complicates the matter. Do this to install vnc-server in a centos/redhat virtual machine:

$ yum install vnc-server

Install blah blah.....

Edit this file:

$ nano /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
Uncomment the following two lines and add a user name

Before:
#VNCSERVERS="1:yourusername"
#VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 16"

After: (assuming your loging in as root)
VNCSERVERS="1:root"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 16"

Set a password to log into the vnc server:

$ vncpasswd
Password:
Verify:

This command enables the vncserver on port 5900+1 or 5901:

$ vncserver :1
Starting VNC server: 1:root
New 'linux.root:1 (root)' desktop is linux.root:1

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/linux.root:1.log

[ OK ]

Now you have to edit the following file, and I have bolded the directions on what you should do inside the file. (If you can't figure this one out then god help you)

$ nano /root/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

Kill the vnc server as such:

$ vncserver -kill :1
Killing Xvnc process ID 13728

Restart it as such:

$ vncserver :1
Starting VNC server: 1:root
New 'linux.root:1 (root)' desktop is linux.root:1

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/linux.root:1.log

[ OK ]

You should be good to go... now just open a vnc viewer from your desktop and go to your.server.ip.address:5901 (5900+1 as you configured your system to go to desktop 1:root)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If THAT doesn't work then install nmap to see what ports you have open:

$ yum install nmap

Install blah blah ....

Then type this command and it will spit out what is open and closed for ports on your sytem:

$ nmap -sS -O 127.0.0.1

Make sure that port 5901 is open and listen for TCP connections, if it isn't then google: open port iptables linux

Good luck!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!