Installation problem VE5.3 HP DL360 G5

Judanssi

Mar 1, 2019
Hi!

I have issues with installing.VE 5.3 to my old HP DL360 G5

I managed to work-around the corrupted hw-PMU with acpi=off

Now I have issue:
INFO: task modprobe:666 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
Not tainted 4.15.18-9-pve #1
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message

I have the newest BIOS available without support contract (05/02/2011)

And yes I know the server is close to SER, but this is my homelab and not going to invest thousands of Euros to build it up :)

Does it affect the overall stability of your system? If so, how exactly? If not, there is probably nothing to worry about.

The problem is, that the installation stops in this error message (or actually system is jammed and repeats this message after every 2 mins)

I think I've seen this before (when the root vg does not match the vg on disk for me) when the kernel is looking for root file system but not finding it.
I'd try taking your hdd out to see if you get the same error or something different.
You could also try doing the install from usb or dvd.

This ia fresh install from USB to formatted disks.

I will try to use other disks and without disks to see if there is any difference.

P400i RAID (what I remember - I am not at home now to check it)

Tried without disks, and installation stopped because no disks were found.
Tested with other disks (in RAID P400i) and same error as above.

Now I finally found the latest SPP image for this G5 version. Downloading and upgrading all the firmware including RAID-controller. Lets see what happens

A recent kernel change broke the 400. You need to upgrade the raid firmware. This needs to be done from 32 bit ubuntu(that worked for me anyhow) Then the disks will go from cciss to sda type.
Hope that helps.

I confirm that updating the controller firmware solves the problem with installing proxmox ve 5.3.2 HP DL 380 G5 (P56). Smart Array P400 and P400i

The initial version of the firmware version was 4.12. Updated to latest version 7.24
I took the firmware from the disk version of the HP SSP - SPP2012100.2012_1005.37

Firmware update does not resolve the error “BIOS has damaged hw-PMU resources (MSR 186 - 43003c”) when loading / installing the OS, but this does not interfere with the normal loading of the OS

Earlier, I tried to update the BIOS. The attempt did not give a positive result.

P.S
I want to note that if you use only 1 CPU socket, you can disable MPS Table Mode in BIOS. It also solves the problem with installing / booting the OS. Without updating the controller firmware.

Tried without disks, and installation stopped because no disks were found.
Tested with other disks (in RAID P400i) and same error as above.

Now I finally found the latest SPP image for this G5 version. Downloading and upgrading all the firmware including RAID-controller. Lets see what happens

would you be so kind sharing the link/download of the firmware? you know, hp homepage... :D

would you be so kind sharing the link/download of the firmware? you know, hp homepage... :D

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/publi...000193]&f:@source=[cdp-km-software-pro-h4-v1]

Use FW1010.2012_0530.49.iso and use the USB utility in the ISO to make a USB key, and add the updated firmware. Works a treat.

hpsa driver

On kernel 4.4.134 and below used
description: Driver for HP Smart Array Controller version 3.4.14-0

However, I believe that the latest hpsa firmware on kernel 4.15.18-x use a much newer driver
description: Driver for HP Smart Array Controller version 3.4.20-125

I have been increasing amounts of issues with I/O errors and lockups and thought it was the RAID card or drives or something but rebooted to an older kernel 4.4.134 and it has all gone quiet again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!