Installation from USB-Stick not working

rene_hof

May 25, 2012
Hi guys,
I'm trying to install Proxmox VE 2.1 from USB stick. I've transferred the ISO using unetbootin and it's booting fine, but than fails with an error, because no CD-ROM could be found (which is not very surprisingly since I'm installing from an USB stick and there is indeed no CD-ROM). Has anyone yet installed this from USB? I thought this would be the most important method nowadays, but the error seems so general, that I can't believe it is specific to my system! Any suggestions?
Regards
René

I've used the guide Tom linked to, and installed it fine on two different servers several times with no problems.
I used imagewriter, and not unetbootin though.

yes, unetbootin is not working here.

Hey, I got it working using ubuntu image writer. Make sure that the usb drive is unmounted, write the .iso (had to rename it to .img) and then go into the disk utility and safely eject the usb.

Got to this thread to google, sorry to resurrect. in Ubuntu 16.04 usb-imagewriter is not available any more. And the dd copying produces a broken USB image. (Yes I triple checked the md5sum).

Just leaving my case for other struggling users.

I couldn't boot into USB installer and after install from DVD couldn't boot into Proxmox. After trying everything suggested on this forum I ended up doing these things:
disabling 'Fast Boot' in BIOS
changing 'Secure Boot' from 'MS Windows' to 'Other OS'
making sure all storage boot option had either 'UEFI' or 'Both UEFI and Legacy Boot' selected

This made everything bootable, USB drive and Proxmox installation. So my old BIOS from 2013 wasn't the issue, it's always some BIOS settings.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!