Installation fails to start. No network adapters found. Mellanox connectx-2

Micim987

Jan 5, 2020
Hi, I was planning on switching from just using Ubuntu Server 18.04 to Proxmox 6.1 and virtualizing my existing Ubuntu server. I've ran in to an issue however. When trying to install Proxmox I get the error No network adapters found. The board I am using is an old z97 board with a core i5 4670k. The onboard Ethernet jack is damaged and disabled so I am using a Mellanox connectx-2 with a SFP-10GSR-85 from fc.com. I also tried my SFP-GB-GE-T but with the same results. Any ideas what to do next? With Ubuntu it was basically plug and play but for some reason Proxmox doesn't like my connectx-2. I also did a search but it would appear that the connect-x2 isn't as widely used with proxmox as it is with Ubuntu and Freenas. Any ideas what to do?

I had the same problem. I found a workaround that is working for me so far. I have MNPA19-XTR "ConnectX-2 EN" cards with single SFP+ connector.

It seems that the mlx4_en module is not loaded during the installer for some reason. Here is what I did (using 6.1-2 iso image):

1. boot into the debug installer

2. type "exit" at the first root prompt (from the initial ramdisk)

At this point, you can see that only the mlx4_core module is loaded with "lsmod | grep mlx4" and in dmesg, you can see that as well. Also "ip link" won't show anything but the loopback device if the Mellanox card is the only NIC in the system. Or it will show the loopback plus any other detected non-Mellanox NICs if they are installed/enabled.

3. type "modprobe mlx4_en"

Now you can see that both mlx4_core and mlx4_en are loaded with "lsmod | grep mlx4" command.

4. type "ip llink" to see that the new device is present. Get the new device name (mine was "ens1" on one system and "enp0s0" on another).

5. type "dhclient ens1" (or whatever your device name is).

6. type "ip addr" to verify that the device got an IP address from the DHCP server.

7. type "exit" to go to the graphical installer.

Now the graphical installer doesn't error out for no network device and completes successfully (at least for me). And the bridge device is built using the 10G adapter.

I've tried in on a couple different machines. And with the Mellanox card as the only NIC, or the Mellanox card plus other NIC(s) but using the Mellanox as the only connected NIC.

Hope it helps,
Jason

The other previous workaround I found was to use a different (but recognized) 1G NIC temporarily during the installation. You can use the regular installer instead of the debug one.

Then after the install completes and the machine is rebooted, the Mellanox card will be enabled properly (mlx4_core, mlx4_en and mlx4_ib modules are properly loaded after the reboot for some reason even though it was wrong during install). But the Mellanox NIC won't be the NIC used in the vmbr0 bridge device. The temporary card will be used in the bridge device after the reboot.

so edit /etc/network/interfaces and change the vmbr0 bridge to include the ens1 device instead of whatever other NIC was used temporarily during the install.

then you can poweroff and get rid of the other NIC. The next boot up will have the 10G card in the bridge and should work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!