Installation Failing: "Failed to prepare EFI boot using Grub"

GrehgyHils

Feb 1, 2023
Hey all! I'm looking at trying out Proxmox on an old T420 Thinkpad laptop I have lying around. I created a bootable USB of the latest version (7.3-1) of Proxmox and filled out the installation wizard. I ended up getting to the end, at 99% complete, and am greeted with this message:

> Installation failed!
> Proxmox VE could not be installed
> bootloader setup errors:
> - failed to prepare EFI boot using Grub on '/dev/sda2': unable to install the EFI boot loader on '/dev/sda'

I've found a few other people's threads on the internet with this issue, and have not been able to find a solution. I've poked around in my BIOS, and have not found anything that jumped out at me. I've tried installing a few times as well.

Does anyone have any advice?

This was resolved thanks to the Proxcord discord:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-0-failed-to-prepare-efi.95466/ Try this

> Hi Ivanov thanks for you reply
>
> i found the solution for my issue
>
> turns out you just have to make sure the usb flash is the only boot opion that the bios has to boot dont ask my why
> when there is another option even if its last in the boot order it will give you the error
> i think it has to do with the system trying to mount only the /dev/sda no other letters etc.. not sure tho
>
> so on poweredge bios you just have to uncheck all UEFI devices and check only the iso flash driver
>
> regarding the raid so as far as i investigated proxmox will not recognize my drives that are connected to my hardware raid controller without being > configured in a form of raid .. i did not found a solution for that my raid card is the dell perc h710p mini
>
> thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!