Install PVE/PBS from ISO on Hetzner without KVM (Tutorial)

You can do it more simply:
1., Hetzner server booted into "rescue mode = live system" with ssh access.
2., Connect to server using ssh,
3., Install the base Debian and Proxmox-VE using the "chroot" command,
4., Reboot,
5., Done.

This is btw one piece of a complete cloud workplace solution for small business companies, based on Proxmox and the power of several other Linux products. In my case, it needs only one comercial license for a Windows terminal server that runs the applications. All the other stuff, like domain controller, file server, firewall and VPN is build on open source and easy to administrate. So if anyone need to build something similar, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I would be happy to share my work
yep - would be interested in your setup...

Kinda gave up using the iso installer. The installation worked flawlessly on my auction dedicated AMD server, but after reboots the server was just not reachable.

I had this set up:

Code:
auto enp35s0
iface enp35s0 inet static
  address mainip
  netmask 255.255.255.192
  gateway gateway
  up route add -net mainip netmask 255.255.255.192 gw gateway dev enp35s0```
And without even an additional private network set up, server still wouldn't respond. Couldn't even ping it.

Kinda gave up using the iso installer. The installation worked flawlessly on my auction dedicated AMD server, but after reboots the server was just not reachable.

I had this set up:

Code:
auto enp35s0
  address mainip
  netmask 255.255.255.192
  gateway gateway
  up route add -net mainip netmask 255.255.255.192 gw gateway dev enp35s0```
And without even an additional private network set up, server still wouldn't respond. Couldn't even ping it.

Maybe the server need EFI boot. You could try the EFI setup, explained somewhere above in this thread:

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/iso/proxmox-ve_8.x-x.iso
wget -qO- /root http://www.danpros.com/content/files/uefi.tar.gz | tar -xvz -C /root
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 4096 -boot once=d -cdrom ./proxmox-ve_8.x-x.iso -drive file=/dev/nvme0n1,format=raw,media=disk,if=virtio -drive file=/dev/nvme1n1,format=raw,media=disk,if=virtio -vnc 127.0.0.1:1 -bios /root/uefi.bin

Which I did actually. But after some research, I noticed booting may have issues when selecting ZFS RAID1? (Having 2 disks).

OK, I didn't hear about that issues. I always used ZFS RAID1 for the setup of many servers with 2 disks, and I've never experienced any issues. On the Hetzner rescue console, did you double-check the correct interface name of the network card? enp35s0 sounds a bit unusual, most of the AX series using enp7s0 or enp8s0.

OK, I didn't hear about that issues. I always used ZFS RAID1 for the setup of many servers with 2 disks, and I've never experienced any issues. On the Hetzner rescue console, did you double-check the correct interface name of the network card? enp35s0 sounds a bit unusual, most of the AX series using enp7s0 or enp8s0.
I'm pretty sure:

Code:
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ipv6
    altname enp35s0
    inet mainip/26 scope global eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ipv6/64 scope global
    inet6 ipv6/64 scope link
I got the auction server AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with an Intel NIC.

According to the rescue, I don't have EFI -> EFI variables are not supported on this system

But I've tried both and without EFI. And without an kvm console, I'm not 100% sure what's going on.

Last edited:
Sounds strange. I would recommend opening a ticket via Hetzner Robot and order a KVM console for free. So you can check if the server has trouble with the boot process or if there is any other issue.

Well, through KVM it works fine:

interfaces settings I use atm:
1706537296278.png

Using this due to: https://github.com/ariadata/proxmox-hetzner

I used to have enp35s0 set to static with the address / gateway there:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto enp35s0
  address xxxx
  netmask xxxx
  gateway xxxx
  # route xxxx via xxxx
  up route add -net xxxx netmask xxxx gw xxxx dev enp35s0

iface enp35s0 inet6 static
  address xxxxx
  netmask 64
  gateway xxxxx
Got this info straight from debian 12 installation + proxmox on top of that. Used the exact info on a proxmox OS installation after editing the interfaces. But even then the server appears to be dead (network related I would assume).

1706537499552.png

So network related.

Might as well give up on using the proxmox OS and simply use a clean debian 12 and install proxmox on top of it....

Attachments

• 1706537394353.png
    1706537394353.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well, through KVM it works fine:

interfaces settings I use atm:
View attachment 62229

Using this due to: https://github.com/ariadata/proxmox-hetzner

I used to have enp35s0 set to static with the address / gateway there:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto enp35s0
  address xxxx
  netmask xxxx
  gateway xxxx
  # route xxxx via xxxx
  up route add -net xxxx netmask xxxx gw xxxx dev enp35s0

iface enp35s0 inet6 static
  address xxxxx
  netmask 64
  gateway xxxxx
Got this info straight from debian 12 installation + proxmox on top of that. Used the exact info on a proxmox OS installation after editing the interfaces. But even then the server appears to be dead (network related I would assume).

View attachment 62231

So network related.

Might as well give up on using the proxmox OS and simply use a clean debian 12 and install proxmox on top of it....
Don't give up, I didn't and after some failures was able to install PVE 7 from ISO and just distr-upgrade to 8. All fine now. I can look tomorrow on network name, cause I had same issues, and the problem is in interface name, it's not enp**

Don't give up, I didn't and after some failures was able to install PVE 7 from ISO and just distr-upgrade to 8. All fine now. I can look tomorrow on network name, cause I had same issues, and the problem is in interface name, it's not enp**
That's interesting. Then why would the interface be set to enp upon installation from eg debian?

Got it to (semi) work.. finally..

1706729386066.png

So setting up the enp35s0 (using iface enp35s0 inet static) doesn't work, but like this does? While I can access the proxmox GUI.. can't seem to ping anything/apt update. Yet... Oddly enough it seems it can't access the outside, yet I can access the GUI o_O.

Last edited:
Got it to (semi) work.. finally..
Sory for late response
My command
Bash:
udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 | grep '^ID_NET_NAME_PATH'
Returned me
enp0s31f6
But in reality, as you see below, i-face name was realy far from that result...
1706775897297.png
This is the interface name, that was able to acces the server...

Sory for late response
My command
Bash:
udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 | grep '^ID_NET_NAME_PATH'
Returned me
enp0s31f6
But in reality, as you see below, i-face name was realy far from that result...
View attachment 62361
This is the interface name, that was able to acces the server...
Thanks for the reply.
Code:
Loading kernel module index.
Found cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/, full unified hierarchy
Found container virtualization none.
Using default interface naming scheme 'v252'.
Parsed configuration file "/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link"
Parsed configuration file "/usr/lib/systemd/network/73-usb-net-by-mac.link"
Created link configuration context.
enp35s0: MAC address identifier: hw_addr=xxxxx → xxxxxx
sd-device: Failed to chase symlinks in "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.2/0000:20:01.0/0000:23:00.0/of_node".
sd-device: Failed to chase symlinks in "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.2/0000:20:01.0/0000:23:00.0/physfn".
enp35s0: Parsing slot information from PCI device sysname "0000:23:00.0": success
enp35s0: dev_port=0
enp35s0: PCI path identifier: domain=0 bus=35 slot=0 func=0 phys_port= dev_port=0 → p35s0
Unload kernel module index.
Unloaded link configuration context.
ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp35s0
My interface really is enp35s0.

As my post above. I do have access to proxmox GUI now through 8006, but it has no internet connection for some reason? Yet I can connect to it?

EDIT:

Works now. DNS was set to a private ip range. Changed that through proxmox and it now fully works. :D. Just my containers has no internet atm xD

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!