Install PVE + Ceph on Debian Buster Sparc64 T5120 (SUNW,UltraSPARC-T2)

gilbertgalves

Jul 15, 2020
Hi guys, good afternoon,

I'm new here. I need help with the scenario below:

- I have 3 SUNW, UltraSPARC-T2 T5120 (64 vCPU + 64 GB RAM).
- I would like to install proxmox + ceph on these machines for an HA cluster.
- I saw that the latest version of pve does not support sparc processors, only intel and amd.
- However, do you know if it is possible to install Debian 10 Sparc64 on these machines and then install proxmox + ceph on Debian?

From now on, I appreciate the collaboration.

Att.,
Gilberto G. Alves

Proxmox only provides packages for the amd64 architecture - and while some packages are perl only and should run fine, this does not apply to:
* qemu
* lxc
* ceph

so, short of quite a bit of porting, this is not possible.

That sad :( . Any suggestions for a ha cluster with these machines?

I really don't see the point in running PVE, because you cannot virtualize any other non-sparc OS (like Windows). You're limited to Linux (sparc) containers or sparc VMs (maybe solaris in there), which is fine but restricts you a lot.

Kubernetes is also out of the question because of the same architecture stuff. You can, however, run ordinary LX(C) containers on the host, but that does not include HA. Is there no Cluster solution for zones in Solaris?

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!