Install ProxMox on a USB and run it from USB

J

jadog

Wondering if there would be any benefit to installing Proxmox to a USB drive. I'm not talking about installing FROM a USB, I'm talking about installing it and running it on the USB drive. I know this is a possibility with ESXi. I'm obviously new to this but one thought would be that it could make it easier to upgrade to future Proxmox releases by keeping the Proxmox install separate from the actual virtual servers. Any thoughts?

Hi,
swap on USB is not the best idea... and because upgrade: an "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" is on an usb-installation not easier than on an real disk.

It's recommend to use an raid to be safe again disk-failure... and usb-sticks are not very durable. In short, i don't see the big benefit.

Udo

if you don´t want to use the server disk/raid, think of installing on a SSD - maybe an option for you?

Ok thanks guys. I have a raid 1 with two hard drives that should suffice then.

Ok thanks guys. I have a raid 1 with two hard drives that should suffice then.

Hey I was thinking of this same thing. I was just playing around with a slackware program called UnRaid that boots off the USB of about a 1Gb. Then the rest is all done on the hard drivers. I would be interesting to put the OS for Proxmox on an internally installed USB drive but not sure really if it would play nice with others in the system. For UnRaid I used and internal USB holder so the drive is contained inside the system to prevent removal or damage. Just thought it was very cool that all the power is on the flash drive and all the other drivers were used to store data. I just thought I would piggy back off this thread. If anyone comes up with a good way to do it let us know... thanks and keep up the great work on Proxmox.

Hi,

Did you consider using a DOM (Disk On Module)? You can get an IDE or SATA versions.

I actually used the same idea when I had XENSERVER. The OS was installed on the DOM and the data was on the RAID.
I decided to scrap this idea when I reinstalled the same machine with Proxmox.
I was not sure that it was a good idea so I decided to play it safe ;)

Regards,
Oren

Hi,

Did you consider using a DOM (Disk On Module)? You can get an IDE or SATA versions.

I actually used the same idea when I had XENSERVER. The OS was installed on the DOM and the data was on the RAID.
I decided to scrap this idea when I reinstalled the same machine with Proxmox.
I was not sure that it was a good idea so I decided to play it safe ;)

Regards,
Oren

I will check that out sounds like a good idea. I was looking more at the USB idea because I have a bunch of them laying around and it work so will with UnRaid. Thanks again!

Hi, I have do it last year, and usbkey have crashed about 6 months later. (too many writes - usbkey burned ).

proxmox2 also write rrds graphs and many other logs, so be carefull with usbkey. (or do some raid1 ;)

Hi, I have do it last year, and usbkey have crashed about 6 months later. (too many writes - usbkey burned ).

proxmox2 also write rrds graphs and many other logs, so be carefull with usbkey. (or do some raid1 ;)

Ah good point! I see that being a problem now... I am sure UnRaid does not do that much writing to the USBKey... Ok thanks!

Hm...
But why You place hole system to usbkey? You had to place on usbkey is only /boot and may be other folders except /var.
/var must reside on a raid.
In that case the usbkey will be used only for booting of Proxmox.
I plan to use this method. In my case I will able to release four discs for $300 each.

Hm...
But why You place hole system to usbkey? You had to place on usbkey is only /boot and may be other folders except /var.
/var must reside on a raid.
In that case the usbkey will be used only for booting of Proxmox.
I plan to use this method. In my case I will able to release four discs for $300 each.

If I was just using a single 3tb disk how would I put the OS on the USBKey? Just do the install to that Key? Reason I ask because it shows up as an option to load to. Now if I then move the /var to the HD it would not have to task the USB out so much just boot. Well when you crack the code on this please post it, I would love nothing more for the 3Tb drive for VMs only.

Thanks

Wondering if there would be any benefit to installing Proxmox to a USB drive. I'm not talking about installing FROM a USB, I'm talking about installing it and running it on the USB drive. I know this is a possibility with ESXi. I'm obviously new to this but one thought would be that it could make it easier to upgrade to future Proxmox releases by keeping the Proxmox install separate from the actual virtual servers. Any thoughts?

From my pov the main advantage is if you have all your vms on a nas, you don't waist a whole hdd just for the system. putting a common 1TB drive in like I have laying around seems like a waist of hdd space to me, because I only need a max of maybe 20gb. unfortunately proxmox 2.2 doesn't seem to boot properly after installing to a usb key.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!