Install Proxmox on 4TB Seagate Skyhawk(Surveillance Grade HDD), good idea?

emmanuel

Dec 5, 2017
I can get a 4TB Skyhawk Surveillance grade HDD cheaper than its Ironwolf sibling, will this have a negative impact on my virtual environment? Seeing that their main difference is Skyhawk is designed for like, depending on who you ask, 75% write and 25% read or 90% write and 10% read while Ironwolf does everything pretty much balanced. Wanna ask the community if I should push through this, thanks!

IMHO, if this is a home lab I don't see an issue. I run my setup on 2 ssd soho grade.
If reliability is a MUST, I still don't see a big issue but you need to do more research.

IMHO, if this is a home lab I don't see an issue. I run my setup on 2 ssd soho grade.
If reliability is a MUST, I still don't see a big issue but you need to do more research.

This is just a home setup :) I will be spinning up at least 5-6 containers and 1 KVM. The containers will be 2 file servers, a dns server, a status monitor using SNMP, an experimental PBX and a few. I am just worried that due to it being more of a write-designed performance drive rather than read-designed that I might notice some slow downs in performance. :/

What can affect performance on your setup?
Except for your file server VMs everything else will mostly run in memory and write to disk rather than read.
And it have to be a very busy file server for disk read performance to be the bottleneck.

What can affect performance on your setup?
Except for your file server VMs everything else will mostly run in memory and write to disk rather than read.
And it have to be a very busy file server for disk read performance to be the bottleneck.

It will serve files mostly on a separate 1TB HGST HDD(all of our movies) which is already formatted to EXT4, its a second drive I had before my 2TB WD Green died out where my PVE was originally installed. I had my lvm-thin partition formatted to EXT4 so I can use the space to put in my installers, my personal files and my family's. I just thought that there might be a significant speed when I copy files from my PC or any other end devices in our household, to the server(since it is write-optimized), and a significant slow-down when reading files off the disk or copying files from the server to any end devices.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!