Install Proxmox and DRBD ont the same disk

Fred91

Aug 20, 2010
Hello,

I plan to use Proxmox in a production environnement and I want to use the following configuration :

- 1 main serveur which will be a big serveur on which will run most of our critical VM.
- 1 backup server, a smaller machine, on which will run non critical VM and wich will be used temporarily if my main server goes down (long maintenance or crash).

I plan to use Proxmox cluster and DRBD but my problem is that Proxmox needs a complete harddrive during install. For DRBD I need an other drive.

This won't be a problem in my main server as it will be equiped with 2 disks in Raid1 for Proxmox and 4 disks in Raid10 for DRBD

But in my backup server, I will just have 2 disks in Raid 1.

Is there anyway on my backup server to tell Proxmox not to use the entire volume during install ?

Should I install a debian first, configuring my partitions as I want (ie one for Proxmox and one for DRBD) and then manually install Proxmox on it ?

Thanks for your help and advices,

Fred

Hello,

I plan to use Proxmox in a production environnement and I want to use the following configuration :

- 1 main serveur which will be a big serveur on which will run most of our critical VM.
- 1 backup server, a smaller machine, on which will run non critical VM and wich will be used temporarily if my main server goes down (long maintenance or crash).

I plan to use Proxmox cluster and DRBD but my problem is that Proxmox needs a complete harddrive during install. For DRBD I need an other drive.

This won't be a problem in my main server as it will be equiped with 2 disks in Raid1 for Proxmox and 4 disks in Raid10 for DRBD

But in my backup server, I will just have 2 disks in Raid 1.

Is there anyway on my backup server to tell Proxmox not to use the entire volume during install ?

no, you just can select which volume.

but I assume you can create 2 raid1 volumes on these 2 physical disks via the raid management software.

I assume you can create 2 raid1 volumes on these 2 physical disks via the raid management software.
Thanks for your reply.

That's what I thought at first time, but I'm not sure my controller can do that (SAS 6/i on Dell R300).
By the way, I think I can upgrade to an controller wich an handle multiple virtual disks on the same raid array.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!