install PBS in a VM or along a PVE installation?

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
I am thinking to use a machine where I could launch a set of service (backup, stats, ...). I was thinking to launch them in separate VMS but I am unsure how to do it for PBS. Is this better to install it on the node using the debian packages instead alnong the PVE installation?Has anyone already tried that?

Reactions: World Tech and greg
I am thinking to use a machine where I could launch a set of service (backup, stats, ...). I was thinking to launch them in separate VMS but I am unsure how to do it for PBS. Is this better to install it on the node using the debian packages instead alnong the PVE installation?Has anyone already tried that?
Hi,
I am running my PBS instance on the same physical host as my PVE install, the datastore residing on a dedicated zfs pool. Running PVE and PBS on the same host is no issue at all, as long as you don't expect to be protected against a host failure.
Please do note that I use this in a homelab setup and for serious use cases you probably want to have a dedicated machine for PBS plus offsite syncs.

I have it installed directly on one Proxmox-VE host and installed as an unprivileged container (with a host mountpoint) on another. Both work fine! Few things I noticed:
1. If you have either a Proxmox-VE or a PBS subscription but not the other, you might have strange updates because one uses the enterprise repository while the other uses the no-subscription repository, which will be out of sync about which kernel version to use etc. (this is why I used a container).
2. If PBS is running in a container (on ZFS), it can do snapshot backups of itself without problems. This surprised me in a positive way. I can just backup all VMs and containers, without having to make a special exception for the PBS-container. (I sync the backups to the other PBS, in case the host or container breaks.)
3. Making snapshot backups of running VMs is faster than non-running ones, because QEMU keeps track of changed disk blocks while it keeps running.

that would be kind of separate machine... just want to max out its usage waiting a proper machine.

That's good to know about the kernel. the plan is indeed to test it until the machine arrive so a vm would do the trick and be safer probably

Reactions: World Tech
I have it installed directly on one Proxmox-VE host and installed as an unprivileged container (with a host mountpoint) on another. Both work fine! Few things I noticed:
1. If you have either a Proxmox-VE or a PBS subscription but not the other, you might have strange updates because one uses the enterprise repository while the other uses the no-subscription repository, which will be out of sync about which kernel version to use etc. (this is why I used a container).
2. If PBS is running in a container (on ZFS), it can do snapshot backups of itself without problems. This surprised me in a positive way. I can just backup all VMs and containers, without having to make a special exception for the PBS-container. (I sync the backups to the other PBS, in case the host or container breaks.)
3. Making snapshot backups of running VMs is faster than non-running ones, because QEMU keeps track of changed disk blocks while it keeps running.

Hi, I'd like to install PBS inside a container as well.

I did
Code:
apt-get install proxmox-backup-server
and it seems that it installed many packages that are irrelevant for an installation inside container, like: zfs, lvm, smartmontools. They are dependencies of pbs so I guess they cannot be removed, but perhaps I should consider disabling the relevant services?

I think there is a way to make apt not install recommended packages but install only required packages. Maybe that helps you? I don't really have an opinion on whether you should disable services, but the Debian container template already have serveral services that are not applicable to a container. Maybe just do the things you would do with an installation of PBS on physical hardware?

Reactions: Tony
I think there is a way to make apt not install recommended packages but install only required packages. Maybe that helps you? I don't really have an opinion on whether you should disable services, but the Debian container template already have serveral services that are not applicable to a container. Maybe just do the things you would do with an installation of PBS on physical hardware?
thanks for the reply. I just leave things as they are for now, the container seems to work as expected.
I did however some inspection: list all services and group them to some categories. This info may come useful if later we want to disable some services in a pbs container.

Note: I installed atop, which installed some extra services with prefix atop

Bash:
root@ct-pbs:/# systemctl list-units |cat
  UNIT                                LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       DESCRIPTION
  systemd-ask-password-console.path   loaded active waiting   Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch
  systemd-ask-password-wall.path      loaded active waiting   Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch
  blk-availability.service            loaded active exited    Availability of block devices
  ifupdown2-pre.service               loaded active exited    Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown
  networking.service                  loaded active exited    Network initialization
  postfix.service                     loaded active exited    Postfix Mail Transport Agent
  proxmox-backup-banner.service       loaded active exited    Proxmox Backup Server Login Banner
  systemd-journal-flush.service       loaded active exited    Flush Journal to Persistent Storage
  systemd-remount-fs.service          loaded active exited    Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
  systemd-sysctl.service              loaded active exited    Apply Kernel Variables
  systemd-sysusers.service            loaded active exited    Create System Users
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service  loaded active exited    Create Static Device Nodes in /dev
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service      loaded active exited    Create Volatile Files and Directories
  systemd-update-utmp.service         loaded active exited    Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown
  systemd-user-sessions.service       loaded active exited    Permit User Sessions
  dm-event.socket                     loaded active listening Device-mapper event daemon FIFOs
  systemd-initctl.socket              loaded active listening initctl Compatibility Named Pipe
  apt-daily-upgrade.timer             loaded active waiting   Daily apt upgrade and clean activities
  apt-daily.timer                     loaded active waiting   Daily apt download activities
  atop-rotate.timer                   loaded active waiting   Daily atop restart
  logrotate.timer                     loaded active waiting   Daily rotation of log files
  man-db.timer                        loaded active waiting   Daily man-db regeneration
  proxmox-backup-daily-update.timer   loaded active waiting   Daily Proxmox Backup Server update and maintenance activities
  systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer        loaded active waiting   Daily Cleanup of Temporary Directories

# default:
  sys-kernel-config.mount             loaded failed failed    Kernel Configuration File System
  logrotate.service                   loaded failed failed    Rotate log files
  systemd-logind.service              loaded failed failed    User Login Management
  systemd-modules-load.service        loaded failed failed    Load Kernel Modules
  systemd-journald-audit.socket       loaded failed failed    Journal Audit Socket

# deps of pbs
  lvm2-monitor.service                loaded active exited    Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling
  zfs-volume-wait.service             loaded active exited    Wait for ZFS Volume (zvol) links in /dev
  lvm2-lvmpolld.socket                loaded active listening LVM2 poll daemon socket
  zfs-mount.service                   loaded failed failed    Mount ZFS filesystems
  zfs-share.service                   loaded failed failed    ZFS file system shares
  zfs-zed.service                     loaded failed failed    ZFS Event Daemon (zed)

# other
  e2scrub_all.timer                   loaded active waiting   Periodic ext4 Online Metadata Check for All Filesystems
  atopacct.service                    loaded failed failed    Atop process accounting daemon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!