Install network card gigabyte Atheros AR8161

terry007

Jan 4, 2013
Hi, I like install network card gigabyte Ahteros AR8161 in kernel 2.6.31-17-pve

I see the next link link http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/68...8151-is-it-supported-by-Proxmox-Kernel-2-6-35 but it's valid for my network card drivers.

I probe the alx and crash when init the module http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx

ERROR:
compat: Unknown symbol compat_system_workqueue_destroy
compat: Unknown symbol compat_system_workqueue_create
compat: Unknown symbol init_compat_mmc_pm_flags

any suggestions?

we have the following module in our latest kernel:

Code:
modinfo atl1
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-17-pve/kernel/drivers/net/atlx/atl1.ko
version:        2.1.3
license:        GPL
author:         Xiong Huang <xiong.huang@atheros.com>,  Chris Snook <csnook@redhat.com>, Jay Cliburn <jcliburn@gmail.com>
description:    Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Driver
srcversion:     476408FA83499529AE9EC84
alias:          pci:v00001969d00001048sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        mii
vermagic:       2.6.32-17-pve SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           int_mod_timer:Interrupt moderator timer (array of int)
parm:           debug:Message level (0=none,...,16=all) (int)

if it does not work, I suggest you use a Intel NIC. we do not test and validate Atheros cards here so we cannot give any further help here.

Hello,

I have the same Problem. Can you help how can I install the driver? I tried to install the driver from these http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx

but I can't run make. I got som errors like this:

include/net/sch_generic.h:189:20: note: previous definition of ‘qdisc_cb_private_validate’ was here
make[3]: *** [/opt/ccc/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc/compat/main.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [/opt/ccc/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc/compat] Fehler 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/opt/ccc/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-20-pve'
make: *** [modules] Fehler 2

Thank you

I have the same Problem. Can you tell me how can I install the network card? I use the current kernel: 2.6.32-20-pve

Thanks a lot

I didn't have any luck with that either. I'm not sure but I suspect that it is due to the fact that the open source driver is intended for later kernel versions than what is included in PVE.The link I provided above had all the info that you will need (it got my system up and running no worries). Unfortunately it seems that the forum is down ATM. Hopefully it will be back up soon because I can't remember the exact steps, but IIRC it involved downloading the proprietary Qualcom driver (although it was from a third party - I couldn't find the Linux Altheros driver on the Qualcom site). Even though PVE is based on Debian, the kernel is actually a RedHat one (hence the link to CentOS forums).I initially found this resolution via google, so perhaps you can find the link to the driver itself or a cached copy of that post or something?

Thanks for your long answer. But I don't know where I can find the driver ;( I search a long time but I don't find anything ;(

Can you say me how is the driver called?

Follow the link and compiled. Worked for me on Proxmox 3.0 with Debian Wheezy 7.1 (Gigabyte motherboard)

I used the driver above (2.0.0.6) on Proxmox 3.0 (2.6.32-23-pve) too but i go now in heavy load crashes of the NIC so I decided to use backports driver.
I took the backports-3.11-rc3-1 from http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~mcgrof/rel-html/backports/ (for sure you need your headers and compiler installed before)
after extracting I made following steps:
- make menuconfig (requires ncurses: apt-get install libncurses5-dev)
- deselected everything except alx
- edited backport-include/linux/swiotlb.h (commented lines 11-14 out)
- edited compat/compat-3.3.c (line 206 added parameter 0 -> key, lock_name,0); )
- make
- make install

and after reboot the backported driver took the job over :)
I hope it is more stable, than the old 2.0.0.6 one :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!