Install gnome40 in a proxmox container?

rcd

Jul 12, 2019
Is it possible to install gnome40 in a proxmox container? Like explained here https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/how-to-install-gnome-40-on-linux-early/

I've never installed Linux GUI servers on Proxmox and actually have very little experience with Linux GUI environments (I always used Linux on headless servers).

I tried installing a CT based on an Archlinux template, was able to follow the instructions to install gnome40 (with much trial and error) but when I run startx in the console it kinda hiccups and dies.

Code:
[root@arch-gnome40 ~]# startx
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.20.11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Archlinux
Current Operating System: Linux arch-gnome40 5.4.106-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.106-1 (Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:08:47 +0100) x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.106-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt
Build Date: 13 April 2021  03:12:10PM

Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May  9 17:02:06 2021
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Switching VT failed
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
                                                        xinit: giving up
                                                                        xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
                                        xinit: server error
                                                           Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console.

Last edited:
You can't (easily) use a graphical environment from an LXC container, as it cannot access the GPU. The easiest way would probably to use a VM instead, although of course the GPU will then be emulated and only accessible via the web UI, VNC, or similar.

It's a headless server, there is no GPU. I don't need to play games on it, it's only for the windowing environment.

It's a headless server, there is no GPU. I don't need to play games on it, it's only for the windowing environment.
=> Use a VM if you need Gnome.

I don't need Gnome per se, I just want to play with it. In a CT.

So, the official Proxmox line is, "can't be done" ?

So, the official Proxmox line is, "can't be done" ?
No, but not recommended as you are face with many issue - see your first post.

=> use a VM.

You wrote you are a beginner, so go the recommended way.

Reactions: Xeata_James
I didn't write I was a beginner, just that I have little experience with desktop Linux. How is anyone going to learn without trying?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!