install error

raj

Sep 17, 2011
www.businessparksolutions.com
Hi Team,

i have tried to do a new install of proxmox 5 proxmox-ve_5.0-af4267bf-4. I have burned it on 2 different cds and also tried 2 different servers but it fails at the exact same point. The error it throws is : " Command `chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a` failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 385.

When I click on ok, on the background screen it says press ctrl+alt+f2 to see details.

Details are :
Processing triggers for rsyslog (8.24.0-1)
Running in chroot, ignoring request.
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of try-restart.
errors were encountered while processing:
postfix
bsd-mailx
pve-manager
proxmox-ve

command `chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a` failed with the exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 385.
umount: /target/var/lib/vz: not mounted

Can anyone advise please. I was thinking maybe the server as its an old beast, IBM X3650 but have tried a different one, as IBM X3850 M2 and it failed at the exact same point.

Cheers,

rajbps

This happens for some reason, when there is no internet/network connection. Maybe proxmox dev's can tell us if this is just a bug? (it worked just fine in 4.4)

This happens for some reason, when there is no internet/network connection. Maybe proxmox dev's can tell us if this is just a bug? (it worked just fine in 4.4)

the issue lies with postfix' postinst script, which fails if there is no active interface inside the chroot environment. a fix is on pve-devel, but I don't know when/if a 5.0 iso will be rebuilt or whether it will "only" be included in 5.1 once that gets released.

I've just tried to install 5.1
And the error definitely still exists

I've just tried to install 5.1
And the error definitely still exists

please provide the log of the installer in debug mode (found in /tmp/install.log)

How can I get it?
I don't manage to get a console after the installation failed.
there are no usable console under ctrl-alt-f1 and f2
I could take a picture from the screen...

use the debug mode, after the installation has failed you are dropped into a debug shell.

when I use the debug mode, I get dropped into a shell before the installation or anything starts.
It tells me to press ctrl+d or type exit to continue. I do that, and then the installation starts.
but after the installation failed I don't get dropped to a console again.

ahh okkk..
you need to abort the installation.
then you get dropped to the shell again... (maybe write a hint about that ;-))

so here we go. Took me a while to get it out of there.

The whole thing was installed in a vm with qemu using zfs as filesystem:
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -cdrom proxmox.iso -boot d -vnc :0 -k de

(it''s on a remote server where I don't have physical access).

Attachments

• install.log
    991.9 KB · Views: 6
generating SSH host keys failed.. maybe you don't have enough entropy in your VM? never seen that one before..

I don't know where the randomness comes from for the ssh key generation. But I thought that at least /dev/random is blocking, i.e. waits until there is enough entropy.
I tried to do the installation like 4-5 times changing some parameters, but always the same result.
At the end I did the installation over an KVM console (so the installation run directly on the hardware, not in the vm), that worked.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!