Jul 2, 2021
Hardware:
  • Dell R710
  • Perc 6/i Controller
  • 2x Xeon 5675@3.07Ghz
  • BIOS Version 6.1.0
I'm receiving this error at boot:
ACPI Error: Region IPMI (ID=7) has no handler

Several errors after that referring to the handler message. I have previously installed another server from this USB, so I don't think it's the image.
What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance
Dave

I managed to get an R710 working with BIOS 6.6.0. I set it to boot to UEFI instead of BIOS/MBR and used F11 to get into the UEFI boot manager. Once there I selected the USB flash drive (I prepared with Ventoy and a copy of the most recent Proxmox ISO on it) and after installation everything continued beautifully.

You probably need to do some research about how to update your BIOS, iDRAC and Life Cycle Manager firmwares. I also found that disabling system services and system inventory in iDRAC config also helped. The boot is quite slow (you will think it's hanging at the black screen after drive firmwares load and then again on UEFI loading), but that can be helped with kexec (if I can figure it out for Proxmox 7 ) for subsequent reboots.

Proxmox runs really really well on the R710 otherwise.

After I updated the BIOS to the latest available, I was able to install proxmox VE. Thank you for your help.

That's really fantastic to hear. Please be sure to mark this thread as [SOLVED] by editing the original post. Also if you need help on IOMMU / PCI passthrough on the R710 you might see this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r710-pci-passthrough-for-hba-card-with-x5675-processors.93489/

You'll notice that I wasn't aware that UEFI boot was NOT using GRUB and I edited my initial question to clarify the solution since it really drove me insane.

I use PCI passthrough to use a hard drive card and a USB 3 card in a virtual machine at full speed and they work great this way with Proxmox. I'm thrilled with how much better Proxmox is than Windows 2019 Server. The performance increases have been shocking.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!