Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH} while running with -T switch at

iwyllpa

Nov 8, 2023
I have Proxmox VE 7.4-3 on a Dell R730XD server. Inside Proxmox, I have an LXC container for Cockpit, an LXC container for Jellyfin, and an LXC container to run Docker using Docker Compose and Portainer.

A few hours ago, we were watching something from Jellyfin when it suddenly stopped working. I tried accessing the Jellyfin webui from a laptop, and I could not connect, so I restarted the LXC container. That didn't work, so I shutdown all LXC containers and started them back up again, one by one. Still Jellyfin didn't work, so I restarted the Proxmox host. When it came back up, I went into the Proxmox WebUI and tried to start the LXC containers up, but each gives an error and won't start:

Error is:
TASK ERROR: command 'lxc-start --version' failed: Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH} while running with -T switch at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base/IPC/Open3.pm line 178.

Same error no matter which LXC container I try to start.

So I tried to open the Proxmox node shell to see what is going on, but that also gives an error:
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/proxmox --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH} while running with -T switch at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base/IPC/Open3.pm line 178.

I tried to SSH in on the Proxmox node's IP from my laptop using PuTTY, but I get a Connection Refused error.

I tried to reboot the Proxmox node from the Reboot button within the WebUI, and I get an erorr:
Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH} while running with -T switch at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Nodes.pm line 569. (500)

I did some Googling, and found:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/insecure-directory-in-env-path-while-running-with-t.27153/ Suggests file permissions are the issue
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/unable-to-start-pvedeamon-after-update.75568/ Suggests apt dist-upgrade could fix things

I went to the server, plugged in a keyboard and monitor, and it was showing a line to log in, so I logged in as root and ran apt dist-upgrade, and that all ran smoothly. I then rebooted (just in case, to finish the upgrading) and when the server finished rebooting, it no longer has an option for me to log in, it just says:

----------------------------
Proxmox Virtual Environment. Please use your web browser to server - connect to:
168.4.218:8006/
---------------------------
(That is me typing in what I am seeing from my laptop, because I obviously can't Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V from my server right now)
I have no idea how to log back in so I can keep trying other possible solutions. So apparently the old monitor that I plugged in to my server was cutting off some of the text on the sides, so it was asking me to log in to the cli, I just couldn't see it.

So I can access the command line from the server itself, but I still cannot login via SSH or through the Proxmox WebUI and into the Shell. That means I can't find any way to copy and paste from the server's command line to this laptop where I'm writing this post.

Other posts that might help (if I can get logged back in to the command line from the server itself):
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-not-restart.45980/page-2#post-218905 Permissions seem to be the issue
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pveproxy-compilation-failed.42997/page-2#post-206398 Specifically, change permissions of one of the path in script /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Report.pm. I have no idea how to try that, even if I could log in.

I know that some extra diagnostic info from my Proxmox node could be helpful, but first I need to know how to log in. Currently, I can access the Proxmox WebUI, and it is now Virtual Environment 7.4-17. But I still get errors when I try to access the shell, start an LXC container, or reboot.

I ran pveversion -r, but I can't copy and paste the results. Here are some of the results:
proxmox-ve 7.4-1 (running kernel: 5.15.126-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.4-17 (running version 7.4-17/513c62be)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-7

What can I try? Before I go messing around with permissions, I would like to know what exactly I should try.

Last edited:
Update: Some kind people in the unofficial Discord server have tried to help me out, but we have not managed to solve the issue. I was at least able to get some LXC containers up and running, including my Docker host and Cockpit containers, so I am copying all important files using the network shares through Cockpit and copying/pasting all my Docker Compose files from Portainer and I am going to do a complete re-install and then I'll copy the files back.

In case this helps anyone in the future, here is the command that managed to get an LXC up and running: ```lxc-start -n 101 -F -l DEBUG -o /tmp/lxc-101.log```

And in order to get SSH up and running again, I had to chmod the permissions a bit because the error was complaining they were all 777, This is the command used: ```chmod -R 600 /etc/ssh```

And in order to get SSH up and running again, I had to chmod the permissions a bit because the error was complaining they were all 777, This is the command used: ```chmod -R 600 /etc/ssh```
That is not good. What about other files in /etc? They should NOT be 777 ...

That is not good. What about other files in /etc? They should NOT be 777 ...
Yeah, not good, indeed! I think what happened was that around a month or so ago, I was fighting with permissions trying to get some folders on a ZFS pool set up so that I could access them from within Docker containers and also as network folders on Windows machines, and some command I typed in to modify the permissions of a folder somehow ended up with the wrong folder, and it changed a bunch of permissions that I really shouldn't have changed. However, I had never turned off my Proxmox server node since then (it had about 2 months of uptime before I restarted it) and apparently that restart I did as part of my attempts to fix one LXC container ended up finally making all those changed permissions 'catch up with me', so to speak. So yeah, I have copied everything off that I think will be important, and I'm going to do a full re-install. On the bright side, I had been meaning to make a few modifications now that I have been using this setup for a few months. For example, I want to swap out the 2.5 inch SSD I'm using on the server for a higher capacity one. I also think I'll change up some of the spinning rust drives I have in there and set aside some for backups on a separate machine.

Yes, that's what I suspected. I was also called to help to fix a couple of machines by accidentially chowning stuff with a "wrongfully placed space and an asterisk". It's easier than you think by just using a similar machine and copying the permissions from there. You can use find to create the correct commands on a healthy system and run them on a compromised one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!