Initial outgoing smtp setup

karlos

Apr 11, 2010
There is nowhere in the gui to set details for an smtp outgoing server to send mail for backups etc.

It seems like its not really supported. How is this setup?

There is nowhere in the gui to set details for an smtp outgoing server to send mail for backups etc.

It seems like its not really supported. How is this setup?
the host has postfix installed (automatically configured during install), used for sending emails. take a look into /etc/postfix/main.cf for details.

cool thanks, I'm running 1.5, should I be editing this file directly or is there a need for changes elsewhere? currently syslog states

connect to myisps-wrong.server-mail.com[its ip]:25: Connection timed out
connect to myisps-wrong.server-mail.com[its ip]:25: No route to host

my isp's mail server is mail.myisp.com but the install has picked up something else...

this is the main.cf file

# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
recipient_delimiter = +

I've searched and searched but can't find any instruction at all, surely this isnt that hard to do and I would think needed in most installs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!