[...] index files outside of expected directory scheme

Fantomas

Renowned Member
Aug 7, 2014
Hello community,

when performing garbage collection on a datastore, I have observed following log message:

Code:
2022-11-08T11:38:08+01:00: marked 100% (414 of 414 index files)
2022-11-08T11:38:08+01:00: found (and marked) 414 index files outside of expected directory scheme
2022-11-08T11:38:08+01:00: Start GC phase2 (sweep unused chunks)
2022-11-08T11:38:35+01:00: processed 1% (7052 chunks)

I assume a relation to manual introduction of namespaces after initial backups, my datastore's directory layout looks as follows:

Code:
# tree -a -d -I ???? -L 4
├── .chunks
└── ns
    ├── namespace-a
    │   ├── ct
    │   │   └── 203
    │   └── vm
    │       └── 201
    └── namespace-b
        ├── ct
        │   ├── 102
        │   ├── 111
        │   └── ...
        └── vm
            ├── 101
            ├── 103
            └── ...

My assumption was that a central .chunks folder above specific namespaces is the desired behavior. Could anybody confirm / comment on that?

Thanks and best regards,
Jan

Checked on my PBSs and can confirm:
Since the switch (via the GUI using local remote sync; so no manual intervention on the filesystem-side from me) to namespaces, I also have those: "found (and marked) <XYZ> index files outside of expected directory scheme" entries in every GC-log.
My folder structure is the same as yours.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would be happy, if someone from the Staff could confirm, that this message does not come from a misconfiguration and is nothing to "worry" about and if this is the case, if it might make sense to rephrase it?

yes, this seems to have been overlooked and should be benign (provided there are no other directories / nested datastores that don't conform to the "namespace" scheme)

Reactions: Fantomas and Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!