Kyar

Sep 9, 2022
Hello,

I have a PBS 3.0 and PROXMOX 8.0.4 and I can't have incremential backup :

1692635149243.png

Each backup have the same size.

What's wrong ? I have test with snapshot or stop

Each backup have the same size.

Every backup is a full backup. However, the backup data for a given data store is deduplicated, so only changed data will consume additional space.

In short, while backing up, the contents of your VM/CT are split up into small chunks. For every chunk, a hash is calculated to have a 'fingerprint' of its contents, allowing us to efficiently use/reuse it by referencing it from another backup snapshot, assuming that other backup snapshots contains a chunk with the same hash (and thus data).

Reactions: Moayad
Every backup is a full backup. However, the backup data for a given data store is deduplicated, so only changed data will consume additional space.

In short, while backing up, the contents of your VM/CT are split up into small chunks. For every chunk, a hash is calculated to have a 'fingerprint' of its contents, allowing us to efficiently use/reuse it by referencing it from another backup snapshot, assuming that other backup snapshots contains a chunk with the same hash (and thus data).

Oh, "content" show 100go, but it use only 29go :

Code:
root@pbs:/mnt/BACKUP/PBS# du -sh
29G     .

Is there any way to show the real usage?

Can you say me what is the best solution, snapshot, suspend or stop VM ?

1692698057806.png

Last edited:
Is there any way to show the real usage?
PBS itself doesn't know how big those backup snapshots are, so no, there isn't. It only shows you the raw size, thick provisioned, without deduplication and before compression, of the VM in the webUI.

Can you say me what is the best solution, snapshot, suspend or stop VM ?
Stopping a VM will drop the dirty-bitmap and the incremental backup will be slower as then the full virtual disks will need to be read and hashed again.

Reactions: Kyar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!