Increasing prices for community edition?

That's where you're wrong. The subscription is(among other things for higher tiers) a service to get access to easy and stable updates, and you do indeed loose that functionality without a subscription.

It is a service you pay for to get stable updates, and the pricing keep increasing constantly with no information given on why this happens. I went with Proxmox VE to get a stable system as the price was just fine, but now the price keep increasing, so I have to make a choice, keep paying more and more for the service or use time to migrate to another solution to avoid possible bugs.

I really do like Proxmox VE and Maurer IT, but I think this pricing strategy with frequent silent increases is kinda dirty and something people should be aware of.

Please think about the following points before you blame us doing "dirty" business practice.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
  • More features every months without any additional costs (eg. ZFS, replication, Ceph support, ...)
  • No increase in "Standard" and "Premium" packages since many years
Price increases are not silent. We have all prices on our website - https://www.proxmox.com/
Its just normal business, and before you ask, expect further price adaption next year.

Please think about the following points before you blame us doing "dirty" business practice.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
  • More features every months without any additional costs (eg. ZFS, replication, Ceph support, ...)
  • No increase in "Standard" and "Premium" packages since many years
Price increases are not silent. We have all prices on our website - https://www.proxmox.com/
Its just normal business, and before you ask, expect further price adaption next year.
Inflation, really? The 49.90 EUR price adjusted for inflation would be 51.69 EUR today. I'm not talking about the standard and premium packages.

The price increases are silent. There has been no available info about upcoming price changes, the numbers have just changed without anyone being informed about it, resulting in people probably just noticing on the next invoice, unless they for some reason are camping a pricing page for a service they already have for some strange reason.

Need to increase prices as a result of more developer or just make more money? No problem. All I'm saying is the following:

It would be nice to be informed of upcoming price increases.

Most companies do this by mail, and it's usually a good idea to do so. It doesn't need to result in fewer customers. When we're increasing prices we usually boost our sales with something like "We'll be increasing our prices because .... Want to stick to the current pricing, renew your licence now.."

That's where you're wrong. The subscription is(among other things for higher tiers) a service to get access to easy and stable updates, and you do indeed loose that functionality without a subscription.

So you are saying that the non-subscription repository is unstable? Or prevents easy upgrades? That is wild speculation, at best.
Would you 'trust' the subscription repo more than the non-subscription one? That is naive either way.

For my part, I don't trust either: I test packages on a staging environment before I use them in production.

Reactions: denos
I'll offer this: I'm migrating to Proxmox from Citrix Xenserver. I used to subscribe to XenServer, then they changed the licensing procedure (I needed to run a new VM to handle licensing) that I couldn't make work and there was zero support for getting it installed even though I was paying something like $1,000 per server for licensing. Then I noticed that everything worked without the license server, so I forgot about it.

Now Citrix is downgrading services for everyone that's not buying licenses, and is taking away features (like HA) that people have grown dependent on. Citrix has worked fine for me, and I could license it or use the non-HA version (it's not like I need HA - I just like it for when I go on vacation), but I've lost faith in the company's management of the product. So I'm moving before I need to.

I mention that to say this: Proxmox is a pretty impressive product, and the entire thing is open source, meaning the developers are competing against themselves, and they're not requiring anyone to pay anything unless they choose to use the stable repository.

That's the business model. That's what they think is fair. It sounds fair to me.

So, Proxmox needs to pay salaries, and maybe help out with retirement, and buy hardware to test on, and hire more people if they're going to increase features in new feature areas, and the folks running this company would probably like to get more back from it than an investment in bonds, and...

Proxmox needs to pay its people and make money in order to prosper and be something we can depend on in another ten years, otherwise they'll be bought out by someone with lots of money and everything will change (and probably become much more expensive or unobtainable.) Price your 40-node cluster in Xenserver or VMware licenses and see what that costs. That number is the value that the market assigns to competent VM hosting platforms. Which Proxmox now is/aspires to be, depending on how you value things like educational options and third-party documentation and third-party tools.

What does a competent developer get paid? If you don't pay someone who's good a decent raise they'll move somewhere that pays them more. That's rational. How much does the owner of a company need to make in order to be able to resist a $x0,000,000 buy-out offer from a big-boy who wants to incorporate some cool tech and remove a low-price competitor? Enough that they don't feel like they're not getting a fair return.

Where does that money come from? Licensing. Service contracts. That's it. Those are going to increase higher than inflation.

And as those prices increase, as long as they're lower than Xenserver/VMware/HyperV you're getting a good deal. Get too close to those prices and you'll have a hard time getting bigger customers who could instead buy the thing that's always talked about in Infoworld.

That's not good or bad. It's the way of the world. When I was running 5 old servers to host my sites and couldn't afford the licensing with Xenserver/VMware I found it cheaper to buy new hardware and reduce the licensing cost. It might be worth looking at that.

Or, you could reach out to the above contact point and request a discounted long-term contract, and if you're a non-profit or something plead your case.

But getting upset because the price is increasing? I don't think you're seeing the entire picture.

(Yes, this is coming from someone without a current contract. I'm still testing this platform to see how well it works for my intended usage.)

So you are saying that the non-subscription repository is unstable? Or prevents easy upgrades? That is wild speculation, at best.
Would you 'trust' the subscription repo more than the non-subscription one? That is naive either way.

For my part, I don't trust either: I test packages on a staging environment before I use them in production.

That's is how I handle packages too. I work for a company with ~ 40 Proxmox licenses. Sometimes, I'll enable the no-subscription repo on a licensed server because I need a fix or feature. But not without evaluating it first; the process typically involves an install on my home server, then on non-critical servers at work, then finally to production servers. We've been using Proxmox since v3 and I haven't been burned by a package out of either the enterprise or no-subscription repos on a production server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!