Import to 'local' or 'local-zfs'?

Proximate

Feb 13, 2022
I created a cluster and imported several vms from an esx server.
Then I created one vm and all went fine so I then imported some from esx.
When I did that, I imported to local-zfs and can see them on the drive;
/dev/zvol/rpool/data/vm-100-disk-0
/dev/rpool/data/vm-100-disk-0

However, I am wondering why the path doesn't show up.
Have I made an error in picking the storage when I imported?
Like maybe I should have picked local?

2022-03-21_202459.jpg

2022-03-21_202922.jpg

Last edited:
However, I am wondering why the path doesn't show up.
That do you mean by that? ZFS uses zvols which are block devices, so there are no files/folders you can view because they aren't part of any file system. When working with ZFS you usually only do this throug the webUI or the "zpool" and "zfs" commands in CLI. You don't manipulate any files or folders.

I'm not really sure what I mean since I'm just learning here :).

Basically, my only introduction to ZFS over the past couple of years has been with truenas and it's all done from the GUI.
I've never looked for files or had to deal with the command line other than some basic things so never really gave ZFS and how it works any thought.

As explained, when I was digging around above, I noticed there was no path for 'local-zfs' so I thought maybe I messed something up or maybe I am importing vms from the CLI to the wrong storage.

$ qm importovf 150 test/test.ovf local-zfs

So I guess you're saying what I'm doing is fine then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!