ifupdown2 not backward-compatible with ifupdown

jaqxues

Dec 19, 2023
We recently tried upgrading a machine from PVE 6.x to PVE 7.x. The official instructions say that installing ifupdown2 and uninstalling ifupdown would work as replacement. We use ifupdown + resolvconf.

However, ifupdown and ifupdown2 behave differently with our /etc/networking/interfaces file. The symptom that we had was the DNS servers were not set during boot (or with ifreload -a etc).

The resolvconf (/etc/network/if-up.d/000resolvconf) hook is called by ifupdown twice, once for ipv4 and once for ipv6 configurations (so once with ADDRFAM=inet and once with ADDRFAM=inet6). However, the newer ifupdown2 calls the hook only once for the interface, with both at the same time (ADDFRAM=inet,inet6). It even seems to ignore the ipv6 address that we gave it. resolvconf does not seem to know how to handle it.

I would argue that this is an issue with ifupdown2 since it is not backwards-compatible with ifupdown - or do you recommend another setup (without resolvconf) for ifupdown2?

Attachments

• interfaces.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 2
AFAICT your nameserver and search domain are static, why not just set them in /etc/resolv.conf instead of via ifupdown(2)?

That would work for our setup, I am just more concerned that the recommended setup does not work. Do you not think that this is an issue with ifupdown2?

I checked bullseye for a change, but thanks for letting me know that it is available on bookworm! Will apply a patch and then upgrade to bookworm later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!