ifup --print-dependency=dot -> error: main exception: name 'GvGen' is not defined

banksiaboy

Nov 17, 2022
># apt list --installed | grep ifupdown2 ifupdown2/stable,now 3.1.0-1+pmx3 all [installed]

I tried:
># ifup --print-dependency=dot vmbr1 error: main exception: name 'GvGen' is not defined

GvGen seems to be a python generator for dot-files. https://github.com/stricaud/gvgen
I can't find any packages in the repository that match gvgen:
># apt search gvgen Sorting... Done Full Text Search... Done

Does this mean there is a missing python dependency in proxmox ifupdown2 ?

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-gvgen reports the package is 'gone'

Last edited:
dpkg -s ifupdown2 Package: ifupdown2 Status: install ok installed Priority: optional Section: admin Installed-Size: 1646 Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com> Architecture: all Version: 3.1.0-1+pmx3 Replaces: ifupdown Provides: ifupdown Depends: python3:any, iproute2 [I]Suggests: isc-dhcp-client, bridge-utils, ethtool, python3-gvgen, python3-mako[/I] Breaks: libpve-common-perl (<< 6.0-14) Conflicts: ifupdown [...]

The suggested packages are: isc-dhcp-client, bridge-utils, ethtool, python3-gvgen, python3-mako

using dpkg -s on that list it seems that python3-gvgen, and python3-mako are missing from the repository.

Should this be documented?

From 2.1.6. Package dependencies of the Debian manual

• "Suggests"
    • This declares a weak dependency. Many users of this package may benefit from installing packages listed in this field but can have reasonable functions without them.
So, it looks like a nice-to-have. It would be nice to have :)

It doesn't seem nice to raise an exception...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!