Identify disks

Ulrar

Feb 4, 2016
Hi,

Is there anyway to figure out the correspondence between the disk inside the VM (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb ..) and the disks attached to the virtual machine in the proxmox web ui ?
Seems like they don't have a serial number and clearly sometimes they get switched (scsi0 becomes sdc and scsi1 becomes sdb, for some reason), so I can't think of anything besides having them all have a slightly different size to tell them apart.

I ask that because we'll want to be deleting disks every once in a while, it's critical not to mistake them.

Hi Ulrar,

you can do so by editing the config file of the VM, for example: /etc/pve/nodes/<server name>/qemu-server/<uid>.conf, simply add a serial:

scsi0: data_VM:vm-100-disk-2,size=30G,serial=<your serial>

Reactions: Ulrar
@Alwin @oguz

I've had the same problem multiple times. And I just found this thread. This should really be a feature when you add a disk to a VM. Given how easy it is to actually get this functionality with a little conf file "hack", a simple checkbox to generate a "unique disk serial number" could/would be immensely helpful. That checkbox could be checked by default. If a user doesn't want a "fake" serial of your disks, the user can always uncheck it.

How about this, lsblk -o +SERIAL?

Reactions: porten
Thanks for the suggestion @Alwin. However, that's not exactly what I meant. That command does indeed get me the serial number of a disk, if set. My issue is more about not having a serial number for VM disks to begin with.

In my specific use case, I have several VMs with many disks attached. Snippet from the VMID.conf file:

scsi0: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-1,discard=on,size=32G scsi1: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-3,backup=0,discard=on,size=2G,ssd=1 scsi2: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-8,backup=0,discard=on,size=2G,ssd=1 scsi4: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-0,backup=0,discard=on,size=5G scsi5: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-5,backup=0,discard=on,size=5G scsi6: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-6,backup=0,discard=on,size=5G scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci virtio4: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-7,backup=0,size=4G,serial=virtio4-disk7

If I need to modify or delete these disks, there's no way to correlate these disks (that I've found) inside of the VM. Hence the need for a serial number to be injected through QEMU, like so:

scsi1: ceph_vm:vm-63061-disk-3,backup=0,discard=on,size=2G,ssd=1,serial=vm-scsi1-d3-47579b10

I wrote a simple bash script to generate a unique-ish serial number for a drive, which I'm now using when I need to make sure I can identify disks. However, it would be nice if the "add disk wizard" in PVE would do this for me automatically.

Hopefully my explanation helps better illuminiate what I meant.

Code:
lsblk -o +SERIAL
I meant, run this inside the VM.

As an example, this produces the following output on my VM.
Code:
# lsblk --nodeps -o NAME,SERIAL
NAME SERIAL
sda  drive-scsi0
sdb  drive-scsi6
sdc  drive-scsi5
sdd  drive-scsi3
sde  drive-scsi1
sr0  QM00003
The SCSI numbering corresponds to the VM config. But OFC, you can also use a separate serial.

Thanks @Alwin ! That is useful, indeed, but it seems to work only for scsi devices. Disks attached as `virtio` do not receive a serial by default in the VM
Code:
# lsblk --nodeps -o NAME,SERIAL

sda  drive-scsi0
sr0  QM00003
vda
vdb
vdc

image showing 4 drives, of which 1 SCSI and 3 VirtIO, which corresponds to the above output from lsblk

Reactions: mikeinnyc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!