I want to install a gateway in KVM...

Marcel

May 24, 2009
Netherlands
I'm a Proxmox newbie. I want to install ClearOS in a KVM. ClearOS is a linux gateway/server solution. So i want to install it gateway mode therefor i need two nics installed on my server. So i have two nics how do i assign eth1 to wan and eth0 to lan? How is this done? From what i've read i also have to manually edit some files on the Proxmox server. Can someone assist me, point me in the right direction?

So i have to manually configure and add a second NIC in /etc/network/interfaces?

Code:
 iface eth0 inet manual

So this means interface eth0... what means inet manual?

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]auto vmbr0[/FONT][/COLOR]

This means? I think vmbr0 is a virtual NIC? auto does?

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace] iface vmbr0 inet static[/FONT][/COLOR]

This means Interface virtual NIC ?inet? static ip address?

If you want to setup a lot of services on Linux I highly recommend that you buy a book about basic Debian Linux Administration and even more important, read it. This could save a lot of time on your side.

Do you have a 2-nd nic on the machine?

if so configure it using the pve web page.

we use pfsense running in a kvm , and have 2 nics dedicated to pfsense, one to each of our cable modems. so it is possible to run a router/gateway in a kvm.

Last edited:
Okay, nice to hear. Yes, i have two NICS on the machine. So it is possible to configure everything via the webui? How did you configure the NICS? Didn't notice you can dedicate a NIC to a VM.

If you want to setup a lot of services on Linux I highly recommend that you buy a book about basic Debian Linux Administration and even more important, read it. This could save a lot of time on your side.
True, :( recommendations?

I set up Pfsense in 1.9 . so the setup for 2.0 may be different.

in 1.9 assign the nic to a bridge . but do not give it an i/p address

then when you make a kvm, use that vmbr .

so eth1 to vmbr1

then use vmbr1 as the WAN nic in your kvm.

I'm interested in getting this set up in a similar way too. I have a brand new server that I got just for experimenting with 2.0. I have a couple of small 1.9 clusters running already, so I have some familiarity with Proxmox.

My new box has 3 NICs available. My intention with the new box was to create multiple "private" zones (VLANs), each zone separated by its own pfSense KVM firewall. The first NIC would be for WAN connectivity, the second one for VLANs and the third NIC for Proxmox management.

From reading the forums I think this type of setup, or something similar, is a fairly common request. However, it can be a bit tricky to get set up correctly and it appears that there is no end-to-end article for it. There are tons of tidbits here and there, but nothing comprehensive. So, if anyone wants to collaborate on a step-by-step "how-to" article, which can later be published on the Proxmox wiki, let me know and we can maybe get it going.

getting pfsense working on proxmox seemed like a complex difficult thing to do before doing so . just setup the network devices and you'll be ok . otherwise ask.

try follow threads Udo made suggestions in. those helped here.

then when done maybe you could put a how to do it on the wiki. I'll help.

I'm interested in getting this set up in a similar way too. I have a brand new server that I got just for experimenting with 2.0. I have a couple of small 1.9 clusters running already, so I have some familiarity with Proxmox.

My new box has 3 NICs available. My intention with the new box was to create multiple "private" zones (VLANs), each zone separated by its own pfSense KVM firewall. The first NIC would be for WAN connectivity, the second one for VLANs and the third NIC for Proxmox management.

From reading the forums I think this type of setup, or something similar, is a fairly common request. However, it can be a bit tricky to get set up correctly and it appears that there is no end-to-end article for it. There are tons of tidbits here and there, but nothing comprehensive. So, if anyone wants to collaborate on a step-by-step "how-to" article, which can later be published on the Proxmox wiki, let me know and we can maybe get it going.

I like the idea of creating a how-to. I'm not afraid of the console but some information is nice. I'm not familiar with Debian.

you do not have to know much about Debian to start this. just the steps done in proxmox .

debian , pfsense and proxmox are all easy to use AFTER you start using them . people just need simple set of start using instructions.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!