I think MacOS hates me

Itay1778

Apr 23, 2021
Hey, So I installed MacOS big sur on VM.

With the help of this guide: https://www.nicksherlock.com/2020/06/installing-macos-big-sur-on-proxmox/

And I used this OpenCore config: https://github.com/thenickdude/KVM-Opencore

On top of that, I did a PCi passthrough for the GT 710 I have and it working great.

I only have a few things that do not work for me, that I need help with.

USB 3, I can't passthrough all my USB controller to this VM because I have another VMs that also needs USB devices, If I passthrough USB 2 then everything Works fine and MacOS detects without issue.

But if I want to passthrough USB 3 I can not, when I do I see an Apple logo along with the line it starts to load and then the whole VM shuts down completely. What to do? Is there any OpenCore config I can add / change or add kexts or something like that to fix it?

Another thing I have a problem with is that I can not get the audio to work for me.

As MacOS was installed on the hardware itself I used AppleALC and in NVRAM I used boot-args of alcid = 11 and the audio worked without a problem.

But now in VM it does not.

And of course I did a pci passthrough for the sound card for this VM. I use a sound card built into my motherboard.

How can I fix this?

And another thing I realized is relatively complicated because it's in VM, it's passthrough the iGPU It's not the most important thing (USB and Audio is much more), but it's nice to have it ....

Although I have the GT 710 and it's really good for what it is. I still do not have hardware decoding and hardware encoding

Recommend this guide to me: https://github.com/vivekmiyani/OSX_GVT-D

But files are missing there and I did not really understand how it works.

If anyone knows how to make this work I would be very happy.

My system:

Motherboard: GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming

Processor: i5 7600k

iGPU: HD 630

dGPU 1: GTX 1060 - It's in Windows VM for gaming.

dGPU 2: GT 710

Thanks in advance

Itay

Did you resolve this? I am having the same shutdown problem if I connect a USB3 drive so I can use Time Machine.

But if I want to passthrough USB 3 I can not, when I do I see an Apple logo along with the line it starts to load and then the whole VM shuts down completely. What to do? Is there any OpenCore config I can add / change or add kexts or something like that to fix it?
I bought a couple of different USB3 controllers (PCIe) and the more expensive ones worked out of the box, all cheaper ones (<30 Euro) did not.

vm mac is all with a 'patch opencore and so on..' with passthroug and usb3 especially it give issues, not proxmox. But to not have issues with hardware get a proper compatible. Highpoint ru lineup are perfect and fully esxi compatible.

vm mac is all with a 'patch opencore and so on..' with passthroug and usb3 especially it give issues, not proxmox. But to not have issues with hardware get a proper compatible. Highpoint ru lineup are perfect and fully esxi compatible.
Damn, I forgot to mention them ... Yes, they are also very, very good, but have a much higher pricepoint.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!