i/o error on pfsense VM after a couple of days of uptime

eezmac

Jan 4, 2023
I am seeing my pfsense VM I am hosting go into a status of "i/o-error." It has been happening every couple of days. I have to suspend the VM then start the VM back up to get it to come back online, which is does for another couple of days but then will randomly go back into an error state again. I don't know how to get more context on this error (not seeing an error log), I am quite new to proxmox.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Could be disk, could be memory, could be a bug. Is your pfSense VM using ZFS inside the VM? Is your Proxmox host using ZFS for the virtual drives? What hardware are you using?
Is there really nothing in the logs of the VM nor in the logs of Proxmox? What kind of I/O error? Can you show the exact wording?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!