I have to ping pve to wake it up every 5 minutes or so

martrimas

Apr 1, 2024
Hello

Proxmox newbie here I just installed a fresh bare metal PvE on a Lenovo m710q tiny.

Network settings:
- gateway: 192.168.1.1
- DHCP range: 192.168.1.100-200
- PvE IP range: 192.168.1.32-63

PvE becomes unreachable every five minutes if I don't interact (webui, ssh...) and I have to ping it to wake it up: usually the first ping gets a time out and after only I get a ping and everything works fine for a while

Physical eth slots look fine (orange led, blinking...), I changed the eth wire, when the server is awake everything seems to work just fine.

As it looks like a sleep issue I fully disabled systemctl sleep using systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target but to no avail.

Ok I answer to myself: I just realized I have an Intel I219-v NIC with e1000e driver... I tried to ethtool -K <nic-id> tso off gso off but it didn't work.

I have the latest kernel by the way: 6.5.11-8-pve

Problem NOT solved but I eventually proved that my issue is not entirely proxmox related : my home router-modem is a huawei b535-232 4g box managed by my internet access provider. I tested my pve server on a fiber network and everything worked flawlessly. The weird part is that i have an old synology server behind my 4g box and it's been working like a charm for years

The question now is why is that 4g huawei router providing inconsistent connection to my pve, and is there anything I can do to solve my problem ?

Last edited:
After a full debian bookworm + proxmox ve reinstall I figured out that the problem is most likely related to the bridge vmbr0 related. I prefer to close this thread and start another one from scratch with my current issue in the networking section.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!