[SOLVED] I can't find any way to mount Hetzner's StorageBox as CIFS

What would be the next debugging step? Creating a tcpdump and comparing the outputs?
yes that could work, alternatively, you could try to setup your own samba server and check if that works, this way you can at least
determine that the target host has some problem... (also i guess this problem will be apparent for more people in the near future as ubuntu 20.04 uses the same 5.4 kernel as we do)

yes that could work, alternatively, you could try to setup your own samba server and check if that works, this way you can at least
determine that the target host has some problem... (also i guess this problem will be apparent for more people in the near future as ubuntu 20.04 uses the same 5.4 kernel as we do)

My Desktop is running Ubuntu 20.04 and can connect to the target host using SMB 3.0 without any issues.

My Desktop is running Ubuntu 20.04 and can connect to the target host using SMB 3.0 without any issues.
ok that really baffles me, as you wrote that using the 5.4 kernel also did not work for you (we basically use the ubuntu kernel + few patches on top, but nothing which should impact samba/cifs)

did we ever found a the problem getting the same thing here, works on vms but not the proxmox host

Hi,

I encounter the same problem, and my solution is active smb share in the interface of hetzner ;)
you see enable in red but it's not enable click on it and it's come disable in green. So no activate in red et activate in green.
Take a look

So, is there any chance to get that working? I'm in the same situation: Proxmox VE host server at OVH and a backup storage at Hetzner. But, it fails with:

Code:
mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Also tried to add ver=1.0 in the fstab, but that didn't seem to help for me?

Code:
//uXXXXXX-sub4.your-storagebox.de/iso-storage /mnt/iso-storage cifs iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/storage-credentials.txt,uid=0,gid=0,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,vers=1.0   0       0

Exactly the same error (bug?) here. Although I am using Hetzner dedicated servers with the StorageBox.

have you made sure to activate the SMB option in hetzner robot?

When adding the CIFS via GUI i put in all necessary data, but no share appears. (Screenshot1)
1596630575597.png

When manually entering backup (Standard Hetzner path), and clicking somewhere else on the window, I can add the CIFS.
1596630682883.png

Reactions: TreiRei
I had the same issue with the Hetzner Box. After trying around for hours I noticed that the server domain resolved to an IPv6 address and my firewall settings were quite restrictive, I dropped all input and just had a related state rule. I made an exception for the domain and it worked (something like ip6tables -I INPUT -s uxxxxx.your-storagebox.de -j ACCEPT)... Maybe that's a hint.

Reactions: jusle
Hi

I am courius about the performance of Hetzner Box as CIFS/SAMBA storage for VMs disks Do you have any benchmarks? Do you happy with the performance?

Hi.
I mostly use it as a backup storage, last backup took roughly 20 minutes for 75 GB, which is about the same speed it takes for a local backup.

My Proxmox Server is located at the same datacenter as the Storage Box.

I cloned a Debian VM just for testing. First the cloning process seemed to be stuck but then it finished instantly, maybe some caching issue. I did some tests:

Code:
root@debian:~# hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   138 MB in  2.03 seconds =  68.04 MB/sec
Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 240 MB in  3.00 seconds =  79.87 MB/sec

Which is not that awesome compared to my NVMe-backed reference machine running on the same node:

Code:
root@something:~# hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   3602 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1800.58 MB/sec
Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 8182 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2726.97 MB/sec

Now I installed mariadb. I tried to import an 18 MB MySQL dump:

Code:
root@debian:~# time mysql bla < sampledata.sql

real    1m12,652s
user    0m0,209s
sys    0m0,004s

Not great at all... The reference machine:

Code:
root@something:~# time mysql bla < sampledata.sql

real    0m0,678s
user    0m0,185s
sys    0m0,012s

During write operations the share was quite slow to access too. It could be problematic to have multiple instances writing at the same time.

Conclusion:
It is probably sufficient for some uncritical applications, but I wouldn't run a database or anything storage-heavy on it :). Maybe it's possible to tune some parameters, but I don't think it will do much. But as a store for templates, isos or backups it's a cheap and fine solution.

Last edited:
Hi.
I mostly use it as a backup storage, last backup took roughly 20 minutes for 75 GB, which is about the same speed it takes for a local backup.

My Proxmox Server is located at the same datacenter as the Storage Box.

I cloned a Debian VM just for testing. First the cloning process seemed to be stuck but then it finished instantly, maybe some caching issue. I did some tests:

Code:
root@debian:~# hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   138 MB in  2.03 seconds =  68.04 MB/sec
Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 240 MB in  3.00 seconds =  79.87 MB/sec

Which is not that awesome compared to my NVMe-backed reference machine running on the same node:

Code:
root@something:~# hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   3602 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1800.58 MB/sec
Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 8182 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2726.97 MB/sec

Now I installed mariadb. I tried to import an 18 MB MySQL dump:

Code:
root@debian:~# time mysql bla < sampledata.sql

real    1m12,652s
user    0m0,209s
sys    0m0,004s

Not great at all... The reference machine:

Code:
root@something:~# time mysql bla < sampledata.sql

real    0m0,678s
user    0m0,185s
sys    0m0,012s

During write operations the share was quite slow to access too. It could be problematic to have multiple instances writing at the same time.

Conclusion:
It is probably sufficient for some uncritical applications, but I wouldn't run a database or anything storage-heavy on it :). Maybe it's possible to tune some parameters, but I don't think it will do much. But as a store for templates, isos or backups it's a cheap and fine solution.
Thanks for the information, it is a great job!!

I agree with you with the conclusion.

I hope that hetzner will offer network storage (like ssd block storage) for the dedicated servers in the future. MeanWhile Ceph is the way.

Hello to all. It seems, problem is with sub accounts. My backup space (free 100gb) attached from gui, works well. But I cannot attached sub account from any storage boxes.

Hello to all. It seems, problem is with sub accounts. My backup space (free 100gb) attached from gui, works well. But I cannot attached sub account from any storage boxes.
Hello.

Did you use the right username and share name?

The username is like uXXX-sub1

The share name is the same as the username, not the name of the shared folder! uXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXX-sub1

Reactions: RuslanDzhumaiev

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!