I am looking for a more suitable backup method

latrik

Jan 10, 2024
I have a question about backing up containers and VMs in a proxmox environment.

My Proxmox VE server is running on a Minisforum MS-01 which has two 2TB SSDs and one of these disks has not been initialized yet. I am currently running backups using the Proxmox Backup Server, which is running in a virtualized environment on a Synology NAS where the backup target folder - Datastore (NFS) - resides. My problem is that the current backup method is very slow.

I would like to speed up backups and further take advantage of PBS. My idea is to perform a backup to a second (fast) SSD in Proxmox and then use PBS to transfer them to the NAS using NFS. I'm looking for the fastest possible backup with deduplication and file recovery options.

One more use case: by default I always keep the last 10 backups from each container and VM on the NAS, but I also backup to the Synology C2 cloud, where I only send the last one backup to save space. Perhaps unnecessarily, but for this reason I have two separate and possibly unnecessary backup jobs.

Can you recommend a method, script, sync or something along those lines?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!