I am having MAJOR problems logging in

You've said several times that logging in via SSH always works. In that case, what do you mean by logging in "remotely"? To most people "remote" equals to SSH. Did you mean GUI? In that case - try to use on-screen keyboard app (built-into most OS) and type with your mouse.

Yes, I meant GUI, I said that at some points but I know this has become a long thread.

I dont like advising to "reinstall Linux to fix an issue" but you could be trying to track down a needle in a haystack here without a magnet (necessary skills). Hence, a fresh install may be in order.

Can you please go to work for [insert every tech company on earth] because the first thing in their "tech support" script is to reinstall or factory restore which should be the last thing! lol

Anyway, for the last 24 hours I have not had a single problem logging in locally, via ssh or gui. The problem appears to have resolved itself. I wonder if Linux has any "self healing" capabilities where it can fix minor problems it identifies? When I first ran journalctl -f I was seeing lines that were red and yellow which I assume were highlighted because they represented an issue. But I don't see them anymore, so if there was an issue causing my login problems maybe it has resolved itself.

Assuming the problem is gone, if I ever figure out what caused it I will come back to this thread and explain it for the benefit of anyone else who has this issue in the future and finds this thread.

Thanks for your help with this! At the very least it has forced me to learn a few things about Linux. Believe it or not I have a masters degree in Computer Science before Linux existed. I had to take a class in Unix and had to master the basics to use the computers in the lab. But that was a couple decades ago and I haven't used it since so all that knowledge exited the building a long time ago!

Great that the issue seems resolved for now!
if I ever figure out what caused it I will come back to this thread and explain it for the benefit of anyone else who has this issue in the future
That would be nice, but if not then lets hope the readers in the future can benefit of the self-healing properties of Linux :)

Have fun with your Proxmox!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!