Hypethreading (SMT) and CPU settings

SionFE

Jul 9, 2021
Hello,
I have Proxmox VE 7.0 running on PC with AMD Threadripper 2920X (12C/24T). SMT (or Hyperthreading) is enabled. CPU has two NUMA nodes. I have two VMs:
1. WIndows 10 VM for gaming and work.
2. Linux VM that is hosting game, web and mail servers.
Both VMs have high CPU utilization. Windows 10 VM is bound to first NUMA node and Linux VM is bound to second. I want Windows 10 VM to use 4 physical cores of Threadripper (or 8 logical threads) and Linux VM to use 6 physical cores (or 12 logical threads). 2 cores are reserved for other purposes. So what the CPU configuration of these two VMs should be? 1 socket, 4 cores and 4 vcpus for Windows 10 and 1 socket 6 cores 6 vcpus for Linux? Or 1 socket, 8 cores, 8 vcpus for Windows 10 and 1 socket 12 cores and 12 vcpus for Linux? I want to avoid overcommiting and sharing resources between these two VMs. And what should I do with CPU limit option?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!