huge packet loss after bond interface setup

jurekk

Mar 31, 2012
Hi, i have problem with bond setup. I have followed this video http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Bond_configuration_(Video) my /etc/network/interfaces:auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-alb
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.64.10.7
netmask 255.255.255.224
gateway 10.64.10.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bond.jpgAfter reboot which applies pending changes i have approximately 75% packet loss on test CT. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Hi, i have problem with bond setup. I have followed this video http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Bond_configuration_(Video) my /etc/network/interfaces:auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-alb
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.64.10.7
netmask 255.255.255.224
gateway 10.64.10.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
View attachment 1337After reboot which applies pending changes i have approximately 75% packet loss on test CT. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

from my experience, don't use balance-alb, it's pretty much a hack with mac address tricks and it's not enough stable

the only mode which works really great is active-backup or lacp

This is not what I wanted to hear :) so if i need really functional receive/transmit balancing with failover i need to purchase switch which supports 802.3ad. Then setup trunking on it and enable 802.3.ad in proxmox

Yes i tried to setup balance-rr but with same result approximately 90% packet loss. I have read that The balance-rr, balance-xor and broadcast modes need switch ports grouped together. So those modes are not switch independent. I have unmanaged switch.

LACP provides load balancing and failover at same time? For example i have topology like this (see picture). I need two things: 1. aggregate two nics to get 2Gbps throughput 2. HA when one of the switches fails. How can i achieve this?topology.jpg

LACP provides load balancing and failover at same time? For example i have topology like this (see picture). I need two things: 1. aggregate two nics to get 2Gbps throughput 2. HA when one of the switches fails. How can i achieve this?View attachment 1357

lacp provide loadbalancing, but by sourceip-sourceport-destinationip-destinationport connection.

So you can't get 2gbit/s from 1 tcp connection.

This is a super old thread but in the 5.4 version of Proxmox I had a weird issue with LACP bonds giving me 50% packet loss. My cluster didn't come back in a stable way after a power outage. Generally I get it back with some pve-cluster restarts/massaging but this time it was a pain and I had to dig deeper. Turns out there was a config mismatch:

In the GUI (LACP) and /etc/network/interfaces = "Bond_Mode 802.3ad"

However...

/sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/mode = "balance-rr 0"

That was the weirdest thing. When I setup the servers I put a standard /etc/networking/interfaces file I always use and rebooted like I always have many times in the past and this seemed to have caused the condition mismatch. To fix I needed to change the GUI to something other than LACP, save (it was grey and I could save because it was already set how it should be) and then revert back to LACP and save again.

A reboot activated the configuration properly and no more packet loss. I had 2 servers with the exact same issue in a test lab.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!