Huge load of Proxmox?

Mucip

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2016
Hi,
I've many post about poor proxmox performance. I see huge upload in proxmox but I don't know where this load come from?...

1725133258124.png

Any idea please?

Regards;
Mucip:)

Last edited:
Use qm list to find out which VM has PID 3216. And check what it is doing. If you are on an old PVE version, then maybe this is a already fixed issue with backups (but I'm not sure).

Reactions: Mucip
Use qm list to find out which VM has PID 3216. And check what it is doing. If you are on an old PVE version, then maybe this is a already fixed issue with backups (but I'm not sure).
Hi,
Unfortunatelly Windows Server... :(

What do you advice now?

Regards,

Unfortunatelly Windows Server... :(

What do you advice now?
That's very little information and I know a little about Proxmox, not Windows. Maybe ask Microsoft? It's your VM, you figure it out. What is the CPU usage according to Windows? What programs are running? It is connected to the internet and hacked and running bitcoin or something?

That's very little information and I know a little about Proxmox, not Windows. Maybe ask Microsoft? It's your VM, you figure it out. What is the CPU usage according to Windows? What programs are running? It is connected to the internet and hacked and running bitcoin or something?
Hi
I see... Unfortunatelly I'm not good about Windows either.
OK. Let me dive little bit in to this problem...

Regards,

Reactions: leesteken
Hi
I see... Unfortunatelly I'm not good about Windows either.
OK. Let me dive little bit in to this problem...
Maybe someone else here knows why Windows Server uses 8 core continuously but it might help to update Proxmox to the latest version and maybe share the VM configuration file. It could be device emulation that takes a lot of CPU but it's unlikely I fear that almost all other ways to investigate the issue is specific to your Windows Server version. Do you have any programs installed and running that don't come standard with Windows Server

Hi,
I now only SAP B1, MS SQL and SAP Dashboard Aplication from BOYUM.

I need to check more about Windows server :(

My Config is;

boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 4
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 204800
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1706255679
name: Debian1
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:34:FE:0C,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: diskSSD:100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2,iothread=1,size=4T
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=58d54885-ac9b-405e-8a49-a066359e6c58
sockets: 2
startup: order=1
vmgenid: 042ec1ed-9586-4d9f-9e28-fbb9c8969a45

Regards,

That config looks to be from a Debian/Linux system, not a Windows system.
That said though, if you want to see what is going on, you will have to log into that windows system and open up taskmanager.
Go to the "details" tab, then sort by CPU.

Also, check if the qemu guest tools are installed within Windows and running, as well as that they are enabled in Proxmox's configuration of that VM.

That config looks to be from a Debian/Linux system, not a Windows system.
That said though, if you want to see what is going on, you will have to log into that windows system and open up taskmanager.
Go to the "details" tab, then sort by CPU.

Also, check if the qemu guest tools are installed within Windows and running, as well as that they are enabled in Proxmox's configuration of that VM.
Hi,
I checked task manager but there is nothing suspicious there?
1725166210538.png

But Debian load is now

1725166271002.png

But Prowmox load is 1.33 and 13901 is Win server vm unfortunatelly.

You're right. My windows vm config is below:

agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 204800
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1709109586
name: WS2022
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:1C:46:EB,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: win11
scsi0: diskSSD:101/vm-101-disk-0.raw,cache=none,iothread=1,size=400G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=f36e1f2e-e557-4e0b-bde7-0497ffc9ff14
sockets: 4
startup: order=2
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: 67f6a520-bdd0-4c2b-95e6-9e7724949720

I didn't install qemu quest tools. Do you suggest this? https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

Regards,

Last edited:
When is the last time you rebooted that node/VM? This sometimes helps - after updates in node/VM.

When is the last time you rebooted that node/VM? This sometimes helps - after updates in node/VM.
Hi,
I restart Proxmox server this morning. Yes. It's not the same but still there is something false like below
What is the ksmd with %96 load?
By the way 13901 is Windows server.
And I installet quest tools both windows and linux guests but Load is still 2.22 ?

1725187052742.png

Regards,

This is running the Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM). It may be beneficiary for you to turn it off - but that depends on your exact use case. Do your own research.

See here.

Hi,
I have 512 GB ram on Proxmox server.
I gave 128 GB to Debian Linux which I use filer server and web server.
I gave 200 GB to Windows server Which I use SAP B1 and MS-SQL server.

I think remained 184 GB ram is enaugh for Proxmox itself? And now ksmd not show in top command screen.

But I don't know how to share 16 core (2 socket) CPU to 2 VM's and Proxmox? I guess I have mistake in share resources?!

Because load is still 0.45?!

1725188871874.png

Regards,

You do understand that if you run top on your proxmox server that you will see the load from each VM as well as the host? And no 0.45 is not alot.
Hi,
You made me happy. :)
You mean that there is nothing to worry?

Regards,

I concur with Veidit, your output looks OK. Remember your Windows Server appears to use 25% of CPU, so 0.45 (1min) load average is alright.

Dear all,
Thanks a a lot for your kind and valuable help.
But I think in any case windows server consuming lots of hardware I affraid.

I need to investigate this from now on... :(

The last situation is:
1725218375310.png

Regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!