https locked out

peterwynne

Jul 5, 2008
Morning!

I got this alert yesterday morning and found out this morning that https traffic wasn't working.

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs
error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/apache2/*.log
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

To clear this quickly I rebooted and everything was fine. Just after the reboot I noticed a large number of mails queuing with error "could not connect to 128.0.0.1" [rough error from memory]. I didn't take long for this mail to clear after the reboot.

Any ideas?

mails queuing with error "could not connect to 127.0.0.1" [rough error from memory]. I didn't take long for this mail to clear after the reboot.

Seems the filter Daemon is not running - maybe you run out of memory?

that 'could not connect' error is a secondary issue that I can't really confirm...

my main issue is the error:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs

error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/apache2/*.log
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

this caused the web service not to work... I need to find out why this was.. It was at 6am on a Sunday morning - so there would have been little if any load at all.

See the attached screenshot below - my CPU usage is very high. Box is running like a dog :( Any ideas on this - or the error above?

Capture.JPG

Now got this when navigating the web interface:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, postmaster@mox.******** and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
[3731]ERR: 24: Error in Perl code: 500 read timeout
Apache Embperl 2.2.0 [Tue Sep 14 14:16:39 2010]

your load is quite high - you run on vmware? is the underlying storage system fast? what version of vmware do you run?

EOS.jpg
it's unusually high... we had the same load on a physical box and it idled along at 2/3%.

Now it's spiking to 90/100%.

Version of VMware is vSphere 4

FC with SAS HDD - SAN storage, very very quick.

Last edited:
pls send your config (backup file) to support@proxmox.com - I assume you run already 2.6 - 4565?

how much RAM do you assign?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!