HP Proliant ML 350 g9 best practice

stefanogatto

May 11, 2015
hi all,
I get a server with three hot-swap disks to configure them in RAID5, can someone tell me what's the best practice to install proxmox on a HP proliant ML 350 g9 with P440 RAID controller? Should I configure the server with its raid controller p440 in raid 5 or set them in ahci and have proxmox controlling the three disks?
I think about a disk failing ( probably it will happen ) in the future, what's the easier configuration to diagnose this kind of problem and to recover it? Obviously i won't have to shutdown the machine to swap disks nor to test their S.M.A.R.T conditions
tya
Stefano

ah I know but we have small disks....maybe I will change the disks and the RAID logical volume in the future
tyvm
Stefano

what's bad about RAID5?
RAID5 is generally not recommended since RAID5 means you can only loose one disk. Since disk sizes has increased dramatically it can take hours or even days to synchronize a new disk and as long as synchronization is going on you risk your entire array should another disk fail. For this reason RAID6 is the recommended RAID array today (in RAID 6 you can loose two disk without loosing your array).

This means:
If write speed and IOPS is important: RAID10 (RAID 0+1)
If maximum storage size is important: RAID6

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!