HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

Gilberto Ferreira

Renowned Member
Hi guys

I saw this server in a shop and wanna know if somebody here has some experience with this hardware, mainly regards Smart RAID Array.
Is this another fakeraid??
Another thing: Can I use LIO as fence device to provide HA between two servers like this one??

Any advice would help!

Thanks a lot

This is fake raid. Don't excpect hatdware raid in such server category.
I'm not sure about iLO though.Probably it should work if it has ssh access...

This is fake raid. Don't excpect hatdware raid in such server category.
I'm not sure about iLO though.Probably it should work if it has ssh access...

Ok about Raid, but still yet, is reliable? I remmeber that I install Proxmox in an IBM server with FakeRaid too and the I/O was extremely slow when I try to create some qcow2 or raw disk image...
And about iLO I read something that thre at least two adtional levels: iLO Essentials and iLO Advanced. With iLO Advanced there's Power Management system... Perhaps can be used as fence devices...

In such category I would use debian + mdadm as raid.It works better than fake raid.

Probably iLO will work for that.

hi

These servers are not usually valid to virtualize are teams with low features and almost certainly will not be 64bit
The Smart Raid card are to make a mirror with 2 hard drives and these machines which come as standard features are low.

The network card only serves the ILO console to manage the team can not cover other use. for HA between servers you need to use your cards not the ILO

if you plan on getting a test setup, you're probably looking at getting 3 boxes already. If so, then just skip raid controllers and go for ceph. better, cheaper, more reliable... and generally awesome.

I'm bumping this thread to avoid creating a new one :

I installed Proxmox on my Gen8 Microserver and I'm having with the fan speed, which is always pretty high (30 to 40% all the time, instead of 6%).
It's probably due to the lack of proper drivers detection as Proxmox (and Debian-based OS) is not official supported by the hardware.

Is there a way to work around it or to install drivers manually ?

I don't want to leave Proxmox for ESXi only for that...

I'm bumping this thread to avoid creating a new one :

I installed Proxmox on my Gen8 Microserver and I'm having with the fan speed, which is always pretty high (30 to 40% all the time, instead of 6%).
It's probably due to the lack of proper drivers detection as Proxmox (and Debian-based OS) is not official supported by the hardware.

Is there a way to work around it or to install drivers manually ?

I don't want to leave Proxmox for ESXi only for that...

Did you install the latest iLO firmware release?

I'm using SmartOS with a gen8 microserver and the fan stays at 27% (with increased cooling enabled in the BIOS setup. I assume that normal cooling will move it to 6%).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!