HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Gilberto Ferreira, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Gilberto Ferreira

Hi guys

I saw this server in a shop and wanna know if somebody here has some experience with this hardware, mainly regards Smart RAID Array.
    Is this another fakeraid??
    Another thing: Can I use LIO as fence device to provide HA between two servers like this one??

Any advice would help!

Thanks a lot

2. acidrop

acidrop Member

This is fake raid. Don't excpect hatdware raid in such server category.
    I'm not sure about iLO though.Probably it should work if it has ssh access...

3. Gilberto Ferreira

Ok about Raid, but still yet, is reliable? I remmeber that I install Proxmox in an IBM server with FakeRaid too and the I/O was extremely slow when I try to create some qcow2 or raw disk image...
    And about iLO I read something that thre at least two adtional levels: iLO Essentials and iLO Advanced. With iLO Advanced there's Power Management system... Perhaps can be used as fence devices...

4. acidrop

acidrop Member

In such category I would use debian + mdadm as raid.It works better than fake raid.

Probably iLO will work for that.

5. Gilberto Ferreira

Yes... That's what a thing...Make a soft RAID...

Thanks

6. soluopen

soluopen New Member

hi

These servers are not usually valid to virtualize are teams with low features and almost certainly will not be 64bit
    The Smart Raid card are to make a mirror with 2 hard drives and these machines which come as standard features are low.

The network card only serves the ILO console to manage the team can not cover other use. for HA between servers you need to use your cards not the ILO

7. starkruzr

starkruzr Member

I think these machines actually are 64-bit systems.

A real RAID card with writeback cache and BBU will run you roughly $140 on eBay and is absolutely, definitely worth the investment. Even for a simple lab setup.

8. mo_

mo_ Member

if you plan on getting a test setup, you're probably looking at getting 3 boxes already. If so, then just skip raid controllers and go for ceph. better, cheaper, more reliable... and generally awesome.

9. DannyBiker

DannyBiker New Member

I'm bumping this thread to avoid creating a new one :

I installed Proxmox on my Gen8 Microserver and I'm having with the fan speed, which is always pretty high (30 to 40% all the time, instead of 6%).
    It's probably due to the lack of proper drivers detection as Proxmox (and Debian-based OS) is not official supported by the hardware.

Is there a way to work around it or to install drivers manually ?

I don't want to leave Proxmox for ESXi only for that...

10. sigxcpu

sigxcpu Member

Did you install the latest iLO firmware release?

I'm using SmartOS with a gen8 microserver and the fan stays at 27% (with increased cooling enabled in the BIOS setup. I assume that normal cooling will move it to 6%).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice